UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Happy Birthday Augustus Caesar!

Yes, Happy Birthday to our very own Augustus Caesar, with many a bottle of Newcastle Brown and whatever you eat up there. :wine::)

For non - British members, Augustus is a 'Geordie', or a native of PONS AELIVS (Newcastle), the last but one fort on the course of Hadrian's Wall. Geordies speak with a very distinctive accent, which contains many slang words derived from old Norse. Winter wear for a Geordie consists of a pair of shorts and a capped sleeve teeshirt/Newcastle United shirt.

Here's a link to Augustus' excellent website relating to Hadrian's Wall. It even has a little forum one can join to dicuss matters relating to the Wall and its forts. http://hadrians-wall.info/hadrianswall/segedunum/

Nephele arrives with her usual troupe of dancing slave girls as an addition to the party. They bear goblets of a strange -- yet ambrosial -- refreshment called "Nookie". (If this New Yorker is recalling correctly the local ales encountered in her pub-crawling days in the north of England.) The slave girls are already somewhat nuked on the Nookie from Newcastle. Another round for all!

Birthday hails you, Augustus Caesar! May you have a cool day!

-- Nephele

WOW

Thanks guys!! I appreciate all your best wishes and everything! I like the description of a Geordie NN... esp. the bit about the NUFC shirt and shorts. Yep, we're a tough breed up here!!!

I like the idea of a weekend of partying too docoflove1974 and will live it up as best I can!! I'm stuffed now after a huge Chinese meal so I decided to come and talk to all my buddies. It was a great surprise to see all these posts and nice words - thank you.

Don't know about the muffins The Augusta - but Flavia will get the joke!!!!!! Big style... don't ask if you don't know this one!!! Or read my report on the UK trip to York in April!!!

Now what would I do after eating a huge Chinese and then lay back on my couch to watch a whole bunch of slave girls doing their thing in front of me? Are you trying to get me excited Nephele? The 'Nookie' is one I haven't heard!! Well, apart from its obvious sexual meaning!! Did you partake of this obviously fine beverage then whilst in these glorious parts of good 'ol blighty? And were you - 'nuked'???

I'm glowing with pride now because it's a great feeling to know that somewhere out there someone cares!! :)

Thanks again guys...........

Now what would I do after eating a huge Chinese and then lay back on my couch to watch a whole bunch of slave girls doing their thing in front of me? Are you trying to get me excited Nephele? The 'Nookie' is one I haven't heard!! Well, apart from its obvious sexual meaning!! Did you partake of this obviously fine beverage then whilst in these glorious parts of good 'ol blighty? And were you - 'nuked'???

Augustus - I have heard Newcastle Brown referred to in Manchester as 'Nookie Brown' - of course, we wouldn't dare say it in front of Geordies! ;) I know Nephele won't mind me saying that an American cousin, unused to proper beer as they are (a bit like Londoners), would be well and truly 'nuked' after just two pints! :D

Augustus - I have heard Newcastle Brown referred to in Manchester as 'Nookie Brown' - of course, we wouldn't dare say it in front of Geordies! ;) I know Nephele won't mind me saying that an American cousin, unused to proper beer as they are (a bit like Londoners), would be well and truly 'nuked' after just two pints! :D

Yep, that's it -- "Nookie Brown". My man's folks are in Nottingham, and that's what they call the Newcastle Brown there. Although, for getting nuked, I don't think many things beat the Scrumpy I had down in Taunton.

Off now to work on your new hidden Roman name, Augusta. Wheee!

-- Nephele

Ah - of course!!! Stupid of me!! The proper term is a derivative of Newcastle Brown which is then formed in Geordie to make Newcassel Broon. The 'southern folk' then turned it a little more to be Newkie Broon. From there it transpired to the form you stated here... nukie broon. The Newkie was a shortened term for Newcastle.

Why did I not remember that earlier? That Chinese I had must have had something in it!! His name was Lin Chung!! Remember him? The Water Margin?

So there we have it and so endeth the education for one night!! I can't do two lessons in one day!! :D

You sneaked that Birthday in didnt you? A belated Happy Birthday

Aaaaawwww.... thanks guys. I've just sobered up enough as caldrail says to switch on the PC... I'm barely remembering what to do after that though!!!

I don't want to single anyone in particular out but as Maureen does not contribute on here I will say a special 'Thank You' and hope Andrew passes it on... Thank you Maureen!!!!!!

Wot - nay!! It's never too late!!

Pertinax - I snucked it in only recently on the profile because I had neglected to do it when I joined this fabulous forum!!

caldrail- any tips on what comes next after pressing the power button?

Andrew - fancy writing a book?

Seriously... all these best wishes etc are deeply appreciated guys - thanks so much. It's nice to have so many friends!! :);)