UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Comedians... your favorite(s)

My favorite has always been George Carlin. The cynical, goofy,vulgar, perverse, Irish-originated, anti-theist, anti-Government comedian who has lasted for over three decades, albeit his comedy has declined a bit in the last couple of years.

(Warning: Vulgarity)

On Religion

On the Ten Commandments

Older comedy:

On Losing Stuff

Dirty Words

I don't agree with everything that he says, he is very opinionated; especially in his later years, however he is still incredibly original and I cant argue with his delivery.

Edited by Divi Filius

Sarah Silverman

The Kid from Brooklyn

Sacha Baron Cohen (Borat et al.)

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog

George Burns (dead, but still funny as hell)

Frankie Howerd (also dead, but nevertheless funny as hell)

Lots of others, but it's late right now and these were the first that came to mind.

EDIT: Forgot to add George Carlin to my list, too!

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele

Russell Peters. I'd post a couple of vids but they've been taken out of Youtube. He's still an absolute legend though.

I was able to salvage his best ones though:

Russell Peters - Asians

Russell Peters Outsourced - English Accent (For our English members)

Russell Peters, Beating the kids

Edited by Rameses the Great

• 3 months later...

Jerry Seinfeld

Bill Cosby

George Carlin

The Blue Collar Comedy Tour guys

Edit: Wow, I have been one post behind all day today, lol!

I have to go with Eddie Izzard. A friend turned me on to him a couple of years ago and I crack up whenever I listen to his stuff. Additionally, his performance on The Riche$ is outstanding as well (although not as comedic!).

And of course, he has some brilliant routines on the Romans. One of which you can see below:

Eddie Izzard - The Romans on YouTube

Edited by Publius Nonius Severus

They don't show Eddie Izzard nearly enough on BBC America for me...and since I don't have access to HBO/Showtime, that's the only way that I get to see him in stand up/drag on TV!

In no particular order (and I really can't pare down this list any more):

Geroge Carlin

Eddie Izzard

Bill Cosby

the Monty Python lads

the Blue Collar lads (I'm probably most partial to Larry the Cable Guy)

Dennis Leary and Robin Williams (yes, I know they're hacks, but they still get me rolling)

Bill Hicks (RIP)

Rodney Dangerfield (RIP)

Bobby Slayton

Lewis Black

There were a few that I almost put on here, except for the fact that they started out hugely funny (Dave Attel, Ralphie May), but have dwindled and don't hold my interest as much. Hopefully they come back, though!

My wife and I love many seemingly unknown comedians who appear on shows like Comedy Central's "Live at Gotham". Unfortunately we never seem to remember their names.

In any case, I thought the Louis C.K. HBO special (Shameless) was hilarious. I also very much enjoyed Lewis Black's most recent HBO special (Red, White, and Screwed) as well, despite generally disagreeing with his politics. A good comedian should be able to make you laugh at yourself even when you feel strongly about something.

Personally, I'm more the Bill Engvall type myself (that dorkfish bit just kills me, and the one where he and his wife go hunting)

In any case, I thought the Louis C.K. HBO special (Shameless) was hilarious.

Interesting. My only experience with him was his series on HBO which I thought was awful. I'll have to give his standup a look-see next time its on.

Personally, I'm more the Bill Engvall type myself (that dorkfish bit just kills me, and the one where he and his wife go hunting)

There are times that Bill Engval makes me chortle big time. Ron White is a total blast, although his stuff is a bit repetitive. But constant belly laughs come from Larry.

It's fascinating to know what we all find funny!

For me, as like many on here, I'm a big Python fan, but when it comes to stand-up, you have to go a long way to beat Les Dawson. I'm a Northern lass, and Les is as funny now as he ever was. I am also a fan of The Big Yin (Billy Connolly), who has an infectious style and merely observes human nature - one of the funniest things around.

I have to say, quite a few modern American comedians miss the mark with me, although I do like Russell Peters (yeah - I know he's Canadian), and I was always a bit of a fan of old Bob Newhart (?sp).

For me, it's more the actual writers of the material than the deliverers - hence my love of the Python clan. And I could worship at the shrine of Neil Simon until hell freezes over.