UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
The Augusta

Slight concern for our old friend

Just wondering if anyone at all has heard from Gaius Octavius - either by PM or e-mail? He hasn't been seen here since 2nd May and his spate of e-mail Round Robin jokes to me has stopped too. I hope he is OK.

Does anyone have any news?

Last time he was gone for awhile (around the Ides of April) he said it was because of business that he had to attend to. Hope that's all it is this time again. I've sent him a shout in e-mail.

-- Nephele

Just wondering if anyone at all has heard from Gaius Octavius - either by PM or e-mail? He hasn't been seen here since 2nd May and his spate of e-mail Round Robin jokes to me has stopped too. I hope he is OK.

Does anyone have any news?

You get those jokes to? :lol: Don't worry he usually goes off for a long while and comes back. I sent him a pm before saying I wondered where he was and I missed him and he hadn't been on the forum for three straight months. It's ok if you're a little bit concerned but this is not the first time he's done this. Give it a bit more time, I'm confident he'll show up. :)

Don't worry he usually goes off for a long while and comes back. I sent him a pm before saying I wondered where he was and I missed him and he hadn't been on the forum for three straight months. It's ok if you're a little bit concerned but this is not the first time he's done this. Give it a bit more time, I'm confident he'll show up. :lol:

Thanks, Ram - that's a comfort. I am becoming very motherly about all our regulars here :) I worry about everybody dreadfully if they go missing for a while.

Heheh typical...the first time he did a disappearing act, many of us shot him an email. Then, in typical GO fashion, he comes back touting that no one missed him! Funny bloke, he. And a good goombah...I'd share some vino and formaggio with Don Tomato any time.

I pmd him as well, his endless litany of half-mad e mails brightened my life. No reply as yet.

It seems that 'Snail Mail' is the best way to contact! :ph34r:

There is a disturbance in the Force, a presence I have not felt since...

:ph34r:

This forum is now the greatest power in the universe. I suggest we use it.... ;0

Contrary to recent rumor and desire, the reports of my deceasement are contrary to fact and sublimely exaggerated. I have taken to disgorging the premises of four decades of accumulated worthless papers, clothes - such as double breasted count suits, and accounting books circa 1900. Not to put too fine a point on it, the Domina preached that it was, and remains, simply a matter of the junk or me that make the Ultimate Voyage. I have been whelmed by untold numbers of telephone calls by my alleged friends and good times relatives attempting to certify my passing. It was my pleasure to disappoint the louts. As is my wont, I have also been testing sundry whisk(e)ys, wines and and beers. Newcastle Brown Ale is my present ticket to oblivion. The Yankees are the bane of my soul and contribute disproportionately to my inebriation.

The Domina has taken to an architect to bring HER kitchen into the 21st Century from its 1920s glory. He took out his tape measure and charm, and did what people think architects should do. When he finished nosing around, Gaius asked for a ball park guesstimate of the cost. The bearded sod put his life in my hands when he replied: $80 grand, not counting sink, washer-dryer, stove and dish washer. Gaius informed said sod that Gaius did not mean Yankee Stadium when he mentioned a 'ball park' figure. C. also made enquiry as to whether he was related to the late Jessie James. Gaius could buy Albania for less than that. On a scale of 1-10, the god-Consul's fury was 100. When the pedal hits the metal, the Domina may have to do with a Hibachi and a wash basin and I'll do with a park bench.

The jokes should recommence shortly. Some of you presently have an outstanding invitation pending on regular e-mail. Others of you will get the same wondrous invitation as soon as I track down your regular e-mail addresses.

I really do love and appreciate all y'all, and thanks for thinking about me.

Congratulations DoL.

Contrary to recent rumor and desire, the reports of my deceasement are contrary to fact and sublimely exaggerated. I have taken to disgorging the premises of four decades of accumulated worthless papers, clothes - such as double breasted count suits, and accounting books circa 1900. Not to put too fine a point on it, the Domina preached that it was, and remains, simply a matter of the junk or me that make the Ultimate Voyage. I have been whelmed by untold numbers of telephone calls by my alleged friends and good times relatives attempting to certify my passing. It was my pleasure to disappoint the louts. As is my wont, I have also been testing sundry whisk(e)ys, wines and and beers. Newcastle Brown Ale is my present ticket to oblivion. The Yankees are the bane of my soul and contribute disproportionately to my inebriation.

The Domina has taken to an architect to bring HER kitchen into the 21st Century from its 1920s glory. He took out his tape measure and charm, and did what people think architects should do. When he finished nosing around, Gaius asked for a ball park guesstimate of the cost. The bearded sod put his life in my hands when he replied: $80 grand, not counting sink, washer-dryer, stove and dish washer. Gaius informed said sod that Gaius did not mean Yankee Stadium when he mentioned a 'ball park' figure. C. also made enquiry as to whether he was related to the late Jessie James. Gaius could buy Albania for less than that. On a scale of 1-10, the god-Consul's fury was 100. When the pedal hits the metal, the Domina may have to do with a Hibachi and a wash basin and I'll do with a park bench.

The jokes should recommence shortly. Some of you presently have an outstanding invitation pending on regular e-mail. Others of you will get the same wondrous invitation as soon as I track down your regular e-mail addresses.

I really do love and appreciate all y'all, and thanks for thinking about me.

Congratulations DoL.

Look who's back! :naughty:

Great to see you back in comission. :ph34r:

Congratulations DoL.

Thanks, hun! Glad to see you back!

As for your kitchen...depending on what you need done, $40k-$60k is typical ball-park. But finding a good general contractor is better than an architect. At least, that's my experience.

Forgot to mention that the Lady Claudia picked up a copy of H.H. Scullard's "A History of the Roman World - 753 to 146 BC", 4th Ed. It has taken me a couple of days to get through the first 25 pages. I need a dictionary and a Roman atlas to get past each sentence.

Well the book has to be concise seeing that it covers 607 years of history in just over 500 pages. If you would like a book that is just as detailed, but written in less of an over-indulgent manner, I would recommend The Roman Republic by Michael Crawford. I must warn you however; its bare-bones style essentially makes it a reference book.

Edited by WotWotius