UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Flavia Gemina

'Ancient Rome on Five Denarii a Day'

Nephele sent this to me as a birthday present (thanks, Nephele) and I love it! With sections on Getting There, The Environs of Rome, Settling In, Out and About, Shopping, Law and Order, Entertainment, Religion, Must-See Sights and Roman Walks, it is accurate and fun.

I especially like the quotes from Latin primary sources sprinkled here and there, and the sidebars with fun facts relating to each section. There are also some great full colour CGI illustrations of 2nd century Rome by my pals at Altair. (I visited their offices a few years ago on one of my research trips to Rome...) This book would make a great supplementary travel guide for any classics-lover travelling to Rome.

Bene fecisti, Philip Matyszak!

Flavia (AKA Caroline Lawrence)

www.romanmysteries.com

Salve, Caroline! Thanks for that review, and welcome to UNRV! :rolleyes:

-- Nephele

Hello and welcome Flavia...

Though the sudden presence of all these authors around here combined with my tendency to butcher English grammar is beginning to make me nervous. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Nephele and Chris!

It's great to finally be a part of UNRV! :rolleyes:

Flavia

Edited by Flavia Gemina

Welcome Caroline -

I've only been here a few days myself, and I hope you'll have as much fun as I'm having. Already spending an unhealthy amount of time here. Is there a UNRV addicts forum?

Thanks for the kind words about 5 denarii a Day. I must say, I've never had a book that I enjoyed writing so much. I'm glad you found it an enjoyable read too.

Maty

Is there a UNRV addicts forum?

We offer support for your addiction via the addiction itself. It's a new form of self sustaining, self help... :rolleyes:

Welcome Dr. Matyszak, I for one am honored that you are enjoying yourself here so much!

Salve, Philip!

I also reviewed your book on Amazon.co.uk and on the Newsscroll Page of my website!

Please do email me at flaviagemina@hotmail.com. I'd love to get in touch about doing one of your e-courses...

Vale.

Flavia

I picked this book up at my local Borders just by dumb luck. I was looking for any books I could find Rome & found this one hiding among all the huge books. It didn't take long to get through it since I never put it down!! Great book for someone like me who is just learning about Roman history.

:) I suppose I'm going to have to go out and buy this book seen as though you all speak so highly of it.

By the way, welcome to the site Caroline (aka Flavia Gemina) and and Philip (aka Maty) it's good to have you on board!

A delightful read. Informative yet entertaining. I read it quickly this sunny afternoon. Perhaps the best daily life book I have read. The graphical illustrations of the sites in question are well done.

And Amazon offered it cheap!

I'm still reading through it, but what fascinates me is that a book like this can teach you far more about roman life that bookcase full of learned tomes. I suppose its because all the deep meaningful stuff is stripped away and you're left with the basics in a no-nonsense style. Always room for more books that do this I reckon.

I'm still reading through it, but what fascinates me is that a book like this can teach you far more about roman life that bookcase full of learned tomes. I suppose its because all the deep meaningful stuff is stripped away and you're left with the basics in a no-nonsense style. Always room for more books that do this I reckon.

Quite. I believe the book's levity is its real strength, as a more scholarly tone would have dulled the information it was trying to convey.

This would honestly make an excellent intro book to secondary school students, a way of hooking their interests, so to speak. Though I am sure more conservative types would object to the section on prostitutes and commercial sex in the eternal city.