UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Xena; Warrior Princess

I don't know if anybody else used to watch the T.V. programme "Xena: Warrior Princess"?, but I'm amazed at all the great moments in history the writers of the show had her involved in :huh: .

I've just bought series one on DVD, and in one of the episodes she helps out the Trojans against the Greeks ( aren't they her own people? ) during the siege of Troy, needless to say in the end she comes out triumphant.

And in one of the later series, if my memory serves me right, she is crucified on Caesar's orders because she was one of the pirates who kidnapped him as a young man.

I really enjoy watching the episodes and wondered if anyone else liked it too? :) .

The writers put Xena (and Gabrielle) at the heart of some of the major historical events of the ancient world and made it into good entertainment, which is not an easy thing to do.

Incidently, what does everyone think of the rumoured lesbian subtext between Xena and Gabrielle in the episodes, were they or weren't they?..... :naughty:

Edited by Drusus Nero

Ah, Xena. I remember watching that show over ten years ago. In fact, I was such a Xena fangirl, I was even a member of the old Universal Studios Xena Message Board (which had no moderators and which frequently resembled a Wild West free-for-all).

I posted an ode to Xena (in 1996) on that board, which I'll post here to bring back a few memories for any other Xenites (that's what folks on the board called themselves) who might be lurking here.

Oh I want to be like Xena

When I grow up someday;

But Mother sighs and rolls her eyes

At "Hey, boys...Wanna play?"

Oh I want to dress in leather

And bring a whip to school;

But Father yells and firmly tells

Me NOT to think that's "kewl".

So I brought my home-made chakram,

My schoolmates to impress;

But when I'd shown the way it's thrown

It made a little... mess?

We had a casualty (or two);

They screamed: "You've gone too far!"

I said, "Wait! No! Thanks to the show

I now know CPR!"

They sent me to the Principal

(He's Ares in disguise);

His face turned red when I just said:

"I'll not be YOUR next prize!"

They called my Mom, who kvetched at me,

"What's with these gods and stuff??

Ambrosia isn't kosher!

Oy vey! We've had enough!"

They sent me to an analyst

For helpful therapy;

The shrink's advice sure wasn't nice:

"Unplug that damn TV!"

So they took away my Xena

As I wiped a tearful eye...

(I'm making plans for Dr. Franz,

'Cause Xena wouldn't cry.)

I still want to be like Xena --

Lucy Lawless, hear my plea;

Did grown-ups screw up your life, too?

Were you once a kid like me?

-- Nephele

Another entry in a long line of female empowerment shows.

Personally I preferred "Buffythe Vampire Slayer" - it was a little more intelligently done.

Speaking of female empowerment shows... Who can forget Roz Doyle of Frasier who, when invited to one of Frasier

OMG Ursus, I remember when I was totally obsessed with Buffy...it was pretty bad.

I thought it was deeper than most people gave it credit for. It had a sense of humor I appreciated.

And it also had Charisma Carpenter parading around in her California Girl outfits. :rolleyes:

Hahah! Xena reminds me of being a horny teenage doofus. I don't think I've seen a single episode of Buffy.

I know! That was the fun of Xena. I have a male friend who was totally besotted with Lucy Lawless, and I think I made his year when I scored front row seats for us to see Lucy perform live on Broadway in Grease. When Lucy came to the edge of the stage, we could look straight up and see her knickers. My friend's eyes were, like, shooting out of their sockets (BA-ZING!), while his tongue rolled out onto his lap. You guys are so funny.

Buffy rocked, too. You know, one of our newest members here at UNRV -- Flavia Gemina -- has appeared in a few Buffy episodes. :rolleyes:

-- Nephele

Yes, I am in some aerial view crowd scenes from Buffy Season 4: The Freshman and the classic Hush, to name a few! My husband and I were visiting my family in LA in 1998 and were wandering around the UCLA campus when we came across camera crew, Sarah Michelle Gellar and hundreds of extras. We got to be extras, too! If you freeze your TV and take a magnifying glass we are really easy to see right down there. I am the one with fluffy dark hair and Richard's wearing a straw fedora.

We watched our episode when it aired in Britain and subsequently became HUGE fans. I steal from Buffy all the time in my books (which also have an empowered blonde heroine) and one of Joss's lines (stolen by me) actually made it into the Roman Mysteries TV series: 'You fight like a girl!'

Nothing will ever match the brilliance of [the first five seasons of] Buffy.

Vale.

Flavia