UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Primus Pilus

Rome Total War

Yes, this game is really addicting! I can play it for hours. I just moved into Rome on it and kicked out the Senate :). Now all the major families of Rome have declared war on me.

oh, i am happy to see this game getting rave reviews. i have never played a war game before and was thinking of this one.

i hope i figure it out though.

i love the game,its the first game i played in this type and i must say its quite addictive.i,ve conqoured europe except for ireland.looking forward to getting stuck into the phalanxes of the eastern world. ;)

game is too easy on hard. very hard offers a pretty good challenge but i would have liked to see the battles balanced more.

dunno but I think RTW is quite boring. the ki is bad and the game hasnt improved alot since medieval. however maybe its just me :lol:

RTW is a cool game. However, I have to admit that everyone was freaking out about how great the graphics are and the different perspectives you can have on the battle field. Don't get me wrong the graphics are great and the battles are great but you can't really enjoy them when playing. I mean if you zoom in to troop eye level you will get stomped if you are playing online. That to me is a drag. In order to not get wasted online I have to maintain that bird's eye view of the battle field. And let's face it replays are boring after awhile.

I think if the battles were turn based you would be able to really enjoy zooming in and watching the action. Because then you wouldn't have to worry about zooming back out and having that damn click fest that happens.

Also, while I am talking about playing online what is with all the damn campers out there?!?!?! It seems almost every damn game I play the other players just sit back and wait for others to attack. Let's face it reactionary play is no where near realistic not to mention boring as hell. So I actually try to be an offensive player but with the way the game works, and if there is lag, forget it I get killed because all the other players seem to do is sit back and play defense. And I am not talking about if you are guarding a city, of course in that situation you would be playing mostly defense. But come on man, campers get offensive from the get go.

Im a hardcore RTW fan, and i have to reply to Vexator first. The reason people usually wait, is because its easier to defend then to attack, less micro-management. However, Cretean Archers usually get them out of that position, because their range is totally awesome. Also Horse Archers will make them angry.

Lag is a problem, yes, i had lag when i played MTW, and RTW is like using all 3D models, of course lag would be present.

I have beaten the Imperial Campaign with the Julii and Scipii families, a long with Gaul, Egypt, and im working on Parthia at the moment. Note Gaul, Egypt, and Parthia are unlockable factions.

This game is still by far the most realistic game based on Rome out there. If your computer can take it, up the unit size to Huge, making the Legionary Cohorts up to 161 soldiers... Although it is still far off the realistic number of soldiers which would be in a cohort (approximately 500?), it still is VERY realistic, and most likely resembles actual battles very well.

Although it is still far off the realistic number of soldiers which would be in a cohort (approximately 500?)

Yup, 480 at full strength, though legions rarely ever achieved that while on campaign.