UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Klingan

Iron Age 'Mickey Mouse' Found

One thousand years before the cartoon character Mickey Mouse was even a glint in Walt Disney's eye, a French artist created a bronze brooch that looks remarkably like the famous rodent, according to archaeologists at Sweden's Lund Historical Museum, which houses the recent find.

The object, dated to 900 A..D., was excavated at a site called Upp

For a moment I thought that this was another archaeology spoof. I have to admit, the 'mickey mouse' looks rather weird. It has a strange quality about it.

Surely this is just a coincidence that the media are playing with?

I actually don't remember the origin on the surgical instruments I'm afraid, but I can check it up asap Gaius.

And yeah Caldrail, it's just a coincidence, but it's quite fun.

Ok there are 23 surgical instruments, they are made between 200 and 600 A.D, the oldest one's are probably imported from Rome, and the rest are a case of knowledge import. Most of them was found in the temple, the largest in Scandinavia, (13x6 meters, wooden). Some however were found in a offer, containing of lots and lots of weapons.

What I find interesting here is that the Press used an analogy with Mickey Mouse in order to make the news more captivating to a general audience.

What I find interesting here is that the Press used an analogy with Mickey Mouse in order to make the news more captivating to a general audience.

Quite a bump here, anyway it's not the press who invented that, it's been used by the guys who found it any the museum all the time. Then again of course the news are using it, it's catchy enough.

Quite a bump here, anyway it's not the press who invented that, it's been used by the guys who found it any the museum all the time. Then again of course the news are using it, it's catchy enough.

(shrug) Ever see the "hidden Mickeys" at a Disney park? They're nothing more than two smaller blank circles atop a larger blank circle. Mickey is so well-known around the planet that virtually anyone in the 1st or even 2nd worlds (maybe even the 3rd world) is going to see that general configuration and think "Mickey," regardless of any facial features.