UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
SteveS

1st Century Pugio

Hi,

I recently received a rather unique 1st century authentic Pugio. I was hoping to post a few questions about the blade. Is there a way to post pictures on this site and if so, what is the size limitation.

Thanks

Edited by SteveS

The way most people do it is to upload to an image hosting site such as Photobucket (it's a free account) and then put the image in by placing the url in image tags like this:

[img=URL]

(Photobucket even provides the image tags for you.

As for size restrictions: reasonable. If it's too huge it's not good, if there are any more "concrete" restrictions than that I'm unaware of them. :)

I'd love to see pics of your blade. :blink:

The way most people do it is to upload to an image hosting site such as Photobucket (it's a free account) and then put the image in by placing the url in image tags like this:
[img=URL]

(Photobucket even provides the image tags for you.

As for size restrictions: reasonable. If it's too huge it's not good, if there are any more "concrete" restrictions than that I'm unaware of them. :)

I'd love to see pics of your blade. :blink:

Being that its part of my private collection, I'm a little leery about posting it in such a public place. I

Your photobucket album is not wide open to the public...HOWEVER anyone can come to this site and see it. The site is not as secure as photobucket, when it comes to who can see things and who can't. Anyone, member or not, can read through the threads and see the images posted here.

SteveS, a picture of something, in your private collection, doesn't diminish its value any. Pertinax or Caldrail have probably put a picture of a pugio up in their Galleries. You have probably seen pictures of the Mona Lisa. They don't diminish its value.

Steve, be a free spirit and bare your pugio for us.

-- Nephele

For those of you that can

Lead is toxic. Is it possible for the people to use lead in making a blade? My guess is nickel, easily being mistaken as silver.

Lead is also extremely soft.

As for nickle, might it be nickle silver or "german silver"?

Beautiful blade. Anyway, do you mean something like this?

m1668ra8.jpg

Lead is toxic. Is it possible for the people to use lead in making a blade? My guess is nickel, easily being mistaken as silver.

Is that an authentic blade or a reproduction? If its authentic, is that a lighter colored metal or the light reflecting off a shinny surface?

I don

Edited by SteveS

Is that an authentic blade or a reproduction? If its authentic, is that a lighter colored metal or the light reflecting off a shinny surface?

I don

People used lead for plumbing and preservative of food in Ancient Rome, is that true? Perhaps lead could be used with other metals such as copper to strengthen it.

German silver is nickel silver. It's an alloy of nickel and copper.

Rome did use lead in their cups and in making certain drinks. It's now common believe that one of the explanations of the Roman

Kathy (the woman I'm staying with) wants to know if you've ever contacted anyone from the SCA about this blade? She says someone told her about these blades at some point but she doesn't know where that person is now.