UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Biographies

cleopatra

Hi everybody :)

Can anyone recommend biographies on the Roman Emporers, a well researched biography with lots of

references, one that is relatively easy to read and can be thought of as captivating literature in general on this subject?

I am interested in all Roman Emporers, so it doesnt matter really which one the biography is about, as long as the biography meets these criterias (but of course it would be interesting in particular to read about Calligula, Neron, and the mad ones and hearing some psychological analyzations about them, although like I said, the most important thing is that its a well researched biography and not fictional). Also, please dont recommend Plutarchus and ancient Roman historians and biographers because I am familiar with them and want to read a historian's account and interpretation of all these sources.

Thanks in advance!

First a couple of overview recommendations...

Chronicle of the Roman Emperors by Chris Scarre

The Roman Emperors: A Biographical Guide to the Rulers of Imperial Rome 31 BC-AD 476 by Michael Grant

Both provide excellent introductions while offering just enough insight to lead you into more detailed biographies.

In any case, a personal favorite is:

Commodus: An Emperor at the Crossroads by Olivier Hekster. Commodus is an intriguing character and Hekster's biography is a thorough and fair analysis.

All of Birley's biographies (3 that I am aware of... M. Aurelius, Severus and Hadrian) are also impressive. Anthony Birley