UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

cave sanctuaries near Rome?

In my book, The Fugitive from Corinth, I have a climactic scene in the Cave of the Furies on the Areopagus in Athens.

I have just seen the script for the TV adaptation of this book. Due to budget constraints they are going to set the whole thing in and around Ostia and Rome. Arrrrgggghh!. The whole point of this book is that it's linked to the myth of Orestes and his flight from the Furies to Delphi and then Athens...

Does anyone know of any cave sanctuaries like the precinct of the Furies in or around Rome?

I know about the cave of the Sybil down near Naples but if a fugitive was going there then surely he'd take a ship...

Any other candidates?

Help! :)

Flavia

There are a lot of caves on Monte Circeo (100km from Rome), one of them famous for the Neanderthal bones found in it, but I'm not sure about actual sanctuaries. The mountain is linked to Circe though, hence the name. The geography of the mountain would lend itself very well to film imho. The grotto at Sperlonga is another option, but probably not as good.

Perhaps an ancient cistern or other underground structure could stand in as a sanctuary? The Piscina Mirabilis at Bacoli or the cistern at Albano Laziale might pull it off.

Thanks for those suggestions, Maladict. They will be filming in Bulgaria as a stand-in for Italy, so set people will have to construct something. So it will be the place in name only.

Anybody know of any sacred cisterns or other underground sanctuaries which could lend a name?

Of course there is the underground temple to Consus near the meta prima of the Circus Maximus, but that is too central and urban, and wouldn't be any good for a low budget production.

Ah, I misunderstood. How about the oracle at Baia?

Yes, that's a possibility, but the logical way to get there would be by sea. I need them on the roads. How about some rural sanctuaries or temples which might have secret passages or underground chambers? Something within a hundred mile radius of Rome... Along one of the main roads? Ring any bells, anyone?

Not sure if this is exactly what your looking for but what about the underground shrine/sanctuary at Paestum, Campania.

http://sights.seindal.dk/sight/97_Underground_Shrine.html

Hope it helps.

Very useful, Gaius!

I could perhaps fabricate a similar heroon dedicated to a Greek hero nearer Rome...

Let's see... Did any GREEKS end up in Latium?

I think I've found the solution to my rural sanctuary. I'm going to set it at the Grove of Diana in Aricia, south of Rome near Lake Nemi. It's the gateway to the underworld and setting for James Frazer's Golden Bough. In Silvae III.i.55, Statius refers to it as a place suited for fleeing or fugitive kings. I'm sure I can arrange some grottoes or caves...

Thanks everybody!

Flavia