UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
M. Porcius Cato

"Are We Rome?"

A somewhat less sophisticated version of Cullen Murphy's argument in "Are We Rome?" is presented in today's NYT article, "Wrapped in Spar-Spangled Toga".

Hi, guys! From what I have read about this book (only commentaries and quotes) it seems like Mr. Murphy is trying to make a number of predictions of the social and political future of the United States based on his knowledge of the Roman Empire. Do you think that this kind of Plutarch exercise is useful? My impression is that being our ideas of the past so subjective, anyone can find any number of "similarities" (or "differences") between countries or individuals that he wants.

Hi, guys! From what I have read about this book (only commentaries and quotes) it seems like Mr. Murphy is trying to make a number of predictions of the social and political future of the United States based on his knowledge of the Roman Empire. Do you think that this kind of Plutarch exercise is useful? My impression is that being our ideas of the past so subjective, anyone can find any number of "similarities" (or "differences") between countries or individuals that he wants.

Haven't read the book in question.

I remember being a lad in the 80's and our schoolteachers telling us we all might be working for the Japanese. It never happened. Predicting the future has been a risky affair since the Oracle of Delphi went out of business.