UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Vikings met Incas?

This is just a short message in an norwegian newspaper but it sounds incredible therefor the post here...

Norwegian arhaeologists are puzzled by a find which indicates an Inca Indian died and was buried in the Oestfold city of Sarpsborg 1000 years ago...

full article at Norway Post

Here is another article on the subject that gives a wee bit more detail: Viking Age Inca Indian Found in Norwegian Burial Ground?

"A particular bone at the back of the head was not fused. This is an inherited trait found almost exclusively among the Incas of Peru," Buckholm added. To this day, no other example of this trait has been found in Norway. "While it is tempting to speculate, seeing as St. Nicolas is the patron saint of sailors, it's hard to imagine a Peruvian making his way here at the time. This is quite puzzling."

Fluke if you ask me

Witness the inhabitants of the americas falling over themselves to welcome the return of the white bearded god. Unfortunately it turned out to be the spanish that time. But it does make you wonder.

Weak theory. The bone is insufficient evidence. Just because it is common among the Incas, doesn't mean that it cannot also appear among others. Besides, how could the Vikings found the Incas, if the later lived in the other coast of the American continent? The Viking voyages were remarkable; there is no need to invent history in order to make them even more remarkable.

No, I'm not inventing history, merely passing on what the inca's said to the conquistadors. They welcomed them with open arms because they truly believed the legend of a returning king was happening right there and then. Of course the mystified spaniards simply made the best of it and took whatever they wanted anyway.

You're right, the viking voyages were remarkable, and no-one actually knows just how far they got. Persistent rumours of colonies in america are not just internet fodder, there are people reearching that sort of thing as I speak, and I note a south american legend (somewhere in the amazon though I admit thats a pretty big area) of a white-skinned tribe. Vikings? Who knows. But its a fascinating concept nonethless.

Salve, guys!

Only to quote Carl Sagan (quoted himself by Marcus Caelius, Member No.: 2281) :

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Now, I see this stuff very much like UFO searching.

These claims are clearly X-traordinary, as they may change a lot of our conceptions of Medieval History.

And, as Callaecus was saying, the evidence is X-tremely weak, at best.

Cheers and good luck.

No, I'm not inventing history, merely passing on what the inca's said to the conquistadors.

Notice that I wasn't accusing you of invention in my previous comment; instead, I was commenting the article.

They welcomed them with open arms because they truly believed the legend of a returning king was happening right there and then. Of course the mystified spaniards simply made the best of it and took whatever they wanted anyway.

You're right, the viking voyages were remarkable, and no-one actually knows just how far they got. Persistent rumours of colonies in america are not just internet fodder, there are people reearching that sort of thing as I speak, and I note a south american legend (somewhere in the amazon though I admit thats a pretty big area) of a white-skinned tribe. Vikings? Who knows. But its a fascinating concept nonethless.

Regarding your comments about Spaniards being confused with a white-skinned god as evidence of a previous Viking voyage, I think you are falling in a very common mistake among contemporary historiography: giving a literal interpretation to what is nothing more than a symbol. In modern western societies, where science is all-powerful, people often forget about the value of myth and symbol in non-scientific societies. So, taking in consideration that white is considered a symbol of divinity in many cultures, there is nothing wrong in the Incas or the Aztecs assuming that some of their gods could have such color. Actually, the Aztecs also mentioned that Quetzalcoatl could also assume the form of a feathered serpent. Does this mean that you believe in feathered serpents? Of course not.

More, these gods were seen as providers of civilization. If such civilization was after all transmitted by some Scandinavians, then explain me how the material culture of pre-Colombian cultures is so radically different from the one that existed in 10th century AD Scandinavia?

I fell for the symbol? I'm only mentioning that the inca's did wholesale and pointing out that vikings are a potential source of the legend. Thats only because of the vikings extraordinary sea-going skills which we do know of. That doesn't mean that other europeans hadn't reached american shores before without common knowledge, either accidentially or by design. Columbus for instance may well have known exactly where he was going even if he mistook the destination as another continent. He knew the landmass was there in other words, not what it was. Notice how confident he was at pulling the wool over his sailors eyes. But like the vikings, its only conjecture. Its just something I find fascinating and enjoy discussing. If I wanted to prove the theory, I would have to back it up and to the best of my knowledge, such evidence is a little sparse to say the least.

Salve, guys!

My humble opinion is that if you don't get rigorous enough with your sources, History will equate Fantasy, as any stuff would become plausible:

UFOs, Atlantis, Lemuria, et Cetera......

(A common -but erroneous- euphemism for that is "Alternative History")

Cheers and good luck!

Columbus for instance may well have known exactly where he was going even if he mistook the destination as another continent. He knew the landmass was there in other words, not what it was. Notice how confident he was at pulling the wool over his sailors eyes.

Colombus thought that the Earth was smaller that it is in reality, meaning that in his opinion Asia was about one month sail from Europe. Thus all his confidence. And in what turned out to be the biggest coincidence in the World's history he found America where he thought Asia was.

There is actually a theory that vikings travled all the way to South America and there established themselfs as the Inca nobility. There is a book about it "Drakkars sur l'Amazone (Drakkars on the Amazone)" by Jacques de Mahieu but I dont know how much you can belive the theory when the author served in Waffen-SS during WW2 and after the war have written several books with strong white surpremecy tendencies.

Thats the chap from the SS Charlemagne Division isnt it? Who also did "Knights Templars had Secret Base in Mexico".

Thats the chap from the SS Charlemagne Division isnt it? Who also did "Knights Templars had Secret Base in Mexico".

The one and only...

The best proof that vikings never met incas it's the fact that the inca existed for another 5 centuries :)

We survived the vikings too. Kinda blows your theory out the door :):)