UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
aiden12

What's the last book you read?

I've read Jennings Aztec a few years back, but I can't recall if I ever finished it. I remember it had lots of explicit violence and sex in it though. The part where Mixtli orders a village to be massacred was pretty horrible, especially how he described killing the head priest by covering him in plaster and then waiting for the sun to dry around him, causing his skin to rupture and his internal organs to spill out. Aztec is a fascinating novel but it isn't for the faint hearted, those with weak stomachs, or the easily offended.

I've read Jennings Aztec a few years back, but I can't recall if I ever finished it. I remember it had lots of explicit violence and sex in it though. The part where Mixtli orders a village to be massacred was pretty horrible, especially how he described killing the head priest by covering him in plaster and then waiting for the sun to dry around him, causing his skin to rupture and his internal organs to spill out. Aztec is a fascinating novel but it isn't for the faint hearted, those with weak stomachs, or the easily offended.

Entirely agree here; Aztec is frankly gore and the main character is like a mixture of James Bond, Casanova and the Marquis de Sade; even so, Jennings is well versed on the history of the period from all sides and he is aware of a lot or trivia usually ignored by most historians, which is BTW essentially exact more often than not.

DC - Funny, but I don't specifically remember that. I think the Conservatives must be right - TV and Rock n Roll have made me immune to violence and sex.

Yes...the book/s (Jennings wrote a sequel to Aztec before his editor and the other writer released three or four more) are VERY heavy on the sex and violence. Much harder core than Scarrow for example.

Jennings is extremely detail oriented and his characters and plot are exceedingly rich and deep. "Aztec" is epic in scope (and in pages...about 1000).

Yes...the book/s (Jennings wrote a sequel to Aztec before his editor and the other writer released three or four more) ...
Actually the sequel (Aztec Autumn) was a great disappointment to me.

I continue my art studies with Taschen Basic Art series.

I have also read "Vintage Guide to Classical Music."

I am now moving on to "The Sommelier's Guide to Wine."

I just finished reading "Lost History - The Enduring Legacy Of Muslim Scientists, Thinkers, and Artists" by Michael Hamilton Morgan

I'm currently reading Saturnalia. It's the 18th novel in Lindsey Davis' series featuring Marcus Didius Falco, a detective in ancient Rome. Great book

I'm currently reading a fascinating book called 'Infidels' by Andrew Wheatcroft. It examines the centuries old conflict between Islam and Christendom.

Judge for yourself whether or not you think this is off-topic, and feel free to berate me accordingly (I'm thick-skinned, I can take it!)

Why is it off-topic? It's not really a book, but I've been listening to something I found on iTunesU. It's a series of lectures called (inspiringly) "106B - The Roman Empire" from Berkeley, by Prof. Isobelle Pafford. There's a little bit about the Late Republic, but it pretty much starts with our friend, Julius Caesar, and works its way through roughly chronologically. The subject matter deals primarily with the Emperors, but is very well interspersed with topics on the life, customs and practices (etc.) of the times.

The sound quality is a little ropey for the first two or three, but those who bear with it are rewarded with a fascinating series of lectures, delivered with just the right level of humour, by a lecturer who clearly knows her onions (she lectures at Berkeley, why would she not?)

Anyway, in conclusion, download iTunes if you have to, and give it a listen (you don't need an iPod/iPhone, you can listen from your PC/Mac). I'm prepared to bet pretty roundly that even the most highly educated Romano-Anoraks among you will learn something new, and even find something to argue with.

Currently reading Jane Austen's 'Northanger Abbey'

"The Later Roman Empire" by Averil Cameron, the only book I could find at my library that looked interesting while I wait on John Hagan's "Year of the Passover". So far, it's a good read (TLRE) but at times I find my eyes growing very heavy and I wake up at the end of a paragraph and don't even remember what I read.

Just finished reading 'The Last Battle'. It is about the battle for Berlin in 1945. It shows all sides, and talks about the western allies, German army, Russian army, along with civilians at the time. It is a great book, and it is packed with information. If you are into World War 2 I suggest you read it. It gives detailed accounts of Russian preparations and assaults, and it also tells of how General Henrici tried to rally the Germans to hold them, which he did for two days with only two understrength armies against a million Russians. It also talks of Hitlers last days in the Fuhrer bunker.

Just finished reading 'The Last Battle'. It is about the battle for Berlin in 1945. It shows all sides, and talks about the western allies, German army, Russian army, along with civilians at the time. It is a great book, and it is packed with information. If you are into World War 2 I suggest you read it. It gives detailed accounts of Russian preparations and assaults, and it also tells of how General Henrici tried to rally the Germans to hold them, which he did for two days with only two understrength armies against a million Russians. It also talks of Hitlers last days in the Fuhrer bunker.

You must be referring to the Cornelius Ryan book. It's a good primer. Some of the information is dated though.

Currently reading some early Socratic dialogues by Plato.

Currently reading - The Elegance of the Hedgehog - a very different book

The Crow Planet - crows are wonderful creatures.

These are books I can read a chunk and the put down and then read another chunk.