UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
aiden12

What's the last book you read?

You might also like an Italian POW escape book "No Picnic on Mount Kenya: A Daring Escape, A Perilous Climb" which also covers lengthy preparation of ice climbing equipment, etc in secrecy from the Brit jailers. Freedom was too far away to strive for, so they just wanted a several day climb and return to camp. More understandable if you have been there and stared at the big ice cream cone of an isolated Mt Kenya or Kilimanjaro defying the warm equatorial plain.

Italian POW's? I have never heard of any of their escapes before. I shall look out for it :romansoldier:

Just finished re-reading The Frontier Wolf by Rosemary Sutcliff. She truly knows the mood of the retreating Empire.

Just finished re-reading The Frontier Wolf by Rosemary Sutcliff. She truly knows the mood of the retreating Empire.

Thanks for reminding me, I have to read that book...

~Were is the story set? Is it still Roman Britain?

Thanks for reminding me, I have to read that book...

~Were is the story set? Is it still Roman Britain?

Yes, during the begining of the reign of Constans(??). I really need to do some reading about the Painted People(who I think were the Picts) and the Attacotti(spelling). ( I have forgotten where I put the book last night and am just too tired/lazy to find it).

Yes, during the begining of the reign of Constans(??). I really need to do some reading about the Painted People(who I think were the Picts) and the Attacotti(spelling). ( I have forgotten where I put the book last night and am just too tired/lazy to find it).

So that would definitely be a dark time to be in Roman Britain then.

~Where is the main character based?

So that would definitely be a dark time to be in Roman Britain then.

~Where is the main character based?

Near what is left of Antoine wall. But the story moves south. It was a dark time.

and getting darker.

btw.. for a truly depressing book - The Road by C MacCarthy. I rarely rarely rarely read the end of a book. But I did this one. I only read about half and I had to find out how it ends because I was not reading any more. truly truly depressing.

Near what is left of Antoine wall. But the story moves south. It was a dark time.

and getting darker.

btw.. for a truly depressing book - The Road by C MacCarthy. I rarely rarely rarely read the end of a book. But I did this one. I only read about half and I had to find out how it ends because I was not reading any more. truly truly depressing.

Antoine wall...nice. I can imagine how dark it will be.

~What is The Road about?

and getting darker.

Antoine wall...nice. I can imagine how dark it will be.

~What is The Road about?

Post-apocolypse(hints at massive nuclear strikes). they made a movie out of it too.. I gather it is as depressing

Post-apocolypse(hints at massive nuclear strikes). they made a movie out of it too.. I gather it is as depressing

I have never been one for fiction like that, but I will give it a read if I have time.

~I am currently reading 'Kelly's Heroes'. It is a brilliant book.

Chapters is having an instore sale..

Buy 3 books and/or magazines and the 4th one is free (of course it will be the cheapest one).

I think the store deserves a visit:)

Chapters is having an instore sale..

Buy 3 books and/or magazines and the 4th one is free (of course it will be the cheapest one).

I think the store deserves a visit:)

How expensive are their goods? And are they stocking good stuff?

i am busy reading a book in german about romans and celts in Noricum, because i have never seen a book about that topic in english, to me it seems as if for the english speaking world the romans in the alps never existed ;)

i am busy reading a book in german about romans and celts in Noricum, because i have never seen a book about that topic in english, to me it seems as if for the english speaking world the romans in the alps never existed :(

I wish I could read a book in German. I have tried many times and failed ;)

~I am having to read some World War 2 books for my English research. Yet again my Roman books must be pushed aside for homework...

i am busy reading a book in german about romans and celts in Noricum, because i have never seen a book about that topic in english, to me it seems as if for the english speaking world the romans in the alps never existed :(

Aside from Roman Britain, I don't think English language scholarship really pays much attention to any province, does it?