UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
aiden12

What's the last book you read?

I just finished A Kingdom Strange: The Brief and Tragic History of the Lost Colony of Roanoke by James Horn. An interesting read, though a bit light. It focuses considerable attention on the "politics" equation (ie the Elizabethan court, England vs. Spain) as opposed to the goings on in and around the Roanoke colony, but it makes for an excellent introductory piece into the early North American colonization efforts of England.

420 or so years later, based on the information available from the later expeditions of John Smith and the Jamestown colony as well as information available from local native populations, the author makes an educated hypothesis regarding what actually happened to Roanoke. Essentially, and as many others have surmised over the years, the author agrees that they were absorbed into several nearby tribes.

The personal stories are by far the most compelling to me. While people have some general awareness to the story of John White, the colony's first governor, I'll give it a short recap here... Shortly after establishing the colony in 1587 he was compelled by the other colonists, against his great reluctance, to return to England in order to secure re-supply, additional colonists, etc. He left behind his daughter and son-in-law and new granddaughter (the first English citizen born in North America). While he felt he was abandoning his position and the colonists (as well as his benefactor Sir Walter Raleigh and the Queen), they convinced him that he was the only colonist well connected enough to have a chance for success. In fact, the other colonists wrote a rather exhaustive letter explaining these details.

After returning to England, White had virtually no success in establishing a re-supply mission. Due to the impending invasion of the Spanish Armada in the English Channel and the reluctance of most captains to curtail profitable privateering expeditions in Spanish America in order to go out of their way north from the West Indies to the Virginia colony, White was unable to procure a return passage until 1590. Upon approaching the colony, they of course found it abandoned (with the relatively famous "CROATOAN" carved on a tree... as was pre-arranged if the colonists found it necessary to leave) but were unable to investigate due to terrible weather and low supply. White was forced to return to England and was never able to gain return passage. That long journey home must have absolutely grueling.

Just finished Angelology by Trussoni. Her style is worth the reading alone. Takes place in New York City and revolves around the secret world of the Nephilim (half angel-half human) and not the kind of angels some humans believe watch over them!

I'm currently going through Eric Shanower's 'Age of Bronze' graphic novels. They are set during the Trojan Wars. Mr.Shanower has definately done his homework as he's recreated the era not as Classical Greece (in the style of Troy and other historical epics) but as the Bronze Age Aegean. Really nicely illustrated.

I am wondering whether I should get a copy of Mein Kampf. I want to see Hitler's deluded thoughts more clearly, but I hear the book is horribly written.

I don't suppose you guys have read it?

I am wondering whether I should get a copy of Mein Kampf. I want to see Hitler's deluded thoughts more clearly, but I hear the book is horribly written.

Bits and pieces .... Mussolini called it unreadeable driven, and he was right.

It's available online, no reason to spend money on it.

I haven't managed more than a few pages, it's unimaginably dull.

Also, my copy is in German and in Gothic script, both of which don't help.

Bits and pieces .... Mussolini called it unreadeable driven, and he was right.

It's available online, no reason to spend money on it.

I haven't managed more than a few pages, it's unimaginably dull.

Also, my copy is in German and in Gothic script, both of which don't help.

Well in that case, I may have a glance at it, but if it is dull then I doubt I will read much.

I recently finished Shadows in Bronze by Lindsey Davis

I just threw all the papers away that have been cluttering my computer desk, one was the list of all her novels by title and date published. Now I'll dig it back out again!

Here you go, Crispina:

http://www.lindseydavis.co.uk/publications.htm

-- Nephele

I just threw all the papers away that have been cluttering my computer desk, one was the list of all her novels by title and date published. Now I'll dig it back out again!

Here you go, Crispina:

http://www.lindseydavis.co.uk/publications.htm

-- Nephele

Thanks, but I had found my list in the trash bin and took it along with me to the library today. When I told the librarian I'd like to start this Lindsey Davis series, she walked with me back to the mystery dept. and there on the shelf was not only "The Silver Pig" but at least 12 of the others! Altho not necessarily in order. They have the second book but not the third, but they can easily do a book search for me and locate it and any of the others they don't have in their system. I saw "A Body in the Bath House" on the shelf too, can't wait until I get to that one. :lol:

I have a few chapters of Claudius The God to finish first. He's about to get his heart broke by Messalina (love is blind) and she's about to get her just rewards.

I've just finished The Sword of Revenge by Jack Ludlow, its the second book in his "Republic" series.

I'm now reading Stephen Kings latest epic offering, Under the Dome. So far this book is brilliant, its on a par with what in my opinion his his best book The Stand.

I'm now reading Stephen Kings latest epic offering, Under the Dome. So far this book is brilliant, its on a par with what in my opinion his his best book The Stand.

That does sound interesting. Thanks for the scoop!

Believe me Ursus it is interesting!! I can't put the bloody thing down!! The pace of the story just keeps getting faster and faster as the story unravels and Stephen King's story telling is at it's very best, the man's a genius!

It's quickly turning into one of the best books I've ever read, the only problem is that I'm getting towards the latter stages of the book now and I really don't want it to end!