UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What's the last book you read?

aiden12

• 2 weeks later...

I

Edited by Aurelia

who was it at this forum that posted about Kindle for the PC?????

I downloaded it I think last weekend.

I now have 5 books to read!!!! I am now reading Antonina by Wilkie Collins and No Roads Lead to Rome By Gompertz, one of our very own.

It was so nice to find all 4 books in the She series of H Rider Haggard. I have never over the many years been able to find book 3 and 4.

Thank you:)

I just finished - No Roads Lead to Rome.. via Kindle for the PC>

I swear it read like a combination of the following movies: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Mouse (from Ladyhawk) conversational way and the Keystone Cops. It was a nice break from reading Antonina by Wilkie Collins, which is a such a serious book and written mid 1800's. (and it was a free Kindle for PC book)..

So far I much prefer and actual book with pages you can turn.

• 1 month later...

I got about a third of the way through 'Caesar: The Life of a Colossus' by Adrian Goldsworthy (see this link).

41jPngqUMUL._SS500_.jpg

To be honest, it's quite a dry work, heavy on fact, but light on readability, and I found that i wasn't really enjoying it. I decided to take a break and come back to it later, and so in the meantime I started on Richard Herring's 'How Not To Grow Up'.

The irony wasn't lost on me.

Well as my review probably gives away I recently finished Andrew Riches Arrows of Fury: Empire Volume Two which, like the first volume, I enjoyed. It was a real pleasure to see that some of the initially doubtful historical aspects have been resolved.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the last book in Fourth Realm Trilogy by John Twelve Hawks.

I have reread The Traveler and am now rereading The Dark Road. It has been a few years since I read these books and they still are very thought provoking.

The last book in the series is The Golden City... ----- Please please make it have at least some rays of light.

In the little spare time I have, I have been trying to read Egil's saga, which is an Icelandic Saga from the Viking Age. it is .. interesting. A nice prose epic centering around good ol' Heathen virtues of wealth, fame and family. I may read the other Icelandic saga but at the rate I am going it is going to take months.