UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
aiden12

What's the last book you read?

I

Edited by Aurelia

who was it at this forum that posted about Kindle for the PC?????

I downloaded it I think last weekend.

I now have 5 books to read!!!! I am now reading Antonina by Wilkie Collins and No Roads Lead to Rome By Gompertz, one of our very own.

It was so nice to find all 4 books in the She series of H Rider Haggard. I have never over the many years been able to find book 3 and 4.

Thank you:)

...that would be me ;)

cheers

viggen

...that would be me ;)

cheers

viggen

and it is now 6 books... (or maybe 9, does the 4 book series of She count as one book or four?)

I just finished - No Roads Lead to Rome.. via Kindle for the PC>

I swear it read like a combination of the following movies: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Mouse (from Ladyhawk) conversational way and the Keystone Cops. It was a nice break from reading Antonina by Wilkie Collins, which is a such a serious book and written mid 1800's. (and it was a free Kindle for PC book)..

So far I much prefer and actual book with pages you can turn.

I read Julius Caesar by Nic Fields. it's a very short analysis of Caesar the general rather than Caesar the man/politician (although it does cover that briefly too). Really nice pics by Peter Dennis too.

I got about a third of the way through 'Caesar: The Life of a Colossus' by Adrian Goldsworthy (see this link).

41jPngqUMUL._SS500_.jpg

To be honest, it's quite a dry work, heavy on fact, but light on readability, and I found that i wasn't really enjoying it. I decided to take a break and come back to it later, and so in the meantime I started on Richard Herring's 'How Not To Grow Up'.

The irony wasn't lost on me.

I'm currently skipping between Kyle's Sport and Spectacle in the Ancient World, and Wickham's Inheritance of Rome (along with all of my school reading)

Well as my review probably gives away I recently finished Andrew Riches Arrows of Fury: Empire Volume Two which, like the first volume, I enjoyed. It was a real pleasure to see that some of the initially doubtful historical aspects have been resolved.

I just got the last book in Fourth Realm Trilogy by John Twelve Hawks.

I have reread The Traveler and am now rereading The Dark Road. It has been a few years since I read these books and they still are very thought provoking.

The last book in the series is The Golden City... ----- Please please make it have at least some rays of light.

In the little spare time I have, I have been trying to read Egil's saga, which is an Icelandic Saga from the Viking Age. it is .. interesting. A nice prose epic centering around good ol' Heathen virtues of wealth, fame and family. I may read the other Icelandic saga but at the rate I am going it is going to take months.

The Great Fire of Rome by Dando-Collins. Hopefully, the review will follow.