UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What's the last book you read?

aiden12

I've been reading 'Roman Art' by Michael Siebler. It is a very short and well illustrated title on some of the greatest pieces of Roman art. Everything from the Capitoline wolf and the bust of Cicero to the statue of the tetrarchs and the marble head of Constantine are covered. Most of the items are well known, although Siebler does take a look at some lesser known items such as the 'Lycurgus Legend' and the 'Achilles' silver platter from Augusta Raurica.

It is no way an in-depth study, but it's an ok introductory (95 page) title for art students.

I've just finished reading the Colleen McCullough 'Masters of Rome' series from start to finish. I thought they were great, particularly the third book, 'Fortune's Favourites'. She has quite an interesting take on Lucius Cornelius Sulla. If you are going to read them, LEAVE YOUR ROMAN HISTORY GEEK IN HIS/HER BOX, I reckon, and enjoy an eloquent evocation of the events at the end of the Republic and the beginning of the Principate without quibbling about the details.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently reading "The Mughal Throne" by Abraham Eraly. One of the more readable and less biased books I've read on the subject of Mughal history.

I'm currently reading the new translation of Sallust. It's a pretty smooth translation. I've been comparing it to the Loeb translation as I read it--this is my first reading of Sallust--and find it better than Loeb is some spots and Loeb better in others. I also have Social Conflicts in the Roman Republic by P.A. Brunt queued up to read next.

Edited by DDickey

I've just finished reading 'Route 66 A.D' by Anthony Perrotett, chronicling his trials and tribulations as he follows the route of ancient Roman tourists using Agrippa's Map. Good book, and funny too.

I've just finished two: "A ciascuno il suo," by Leonardo Sciascia, a really good crime novel in Italian set in Sicily in the 1960's. The other is "The Good Priest's Son" by Reynolds Price.

I have been having a total break from all things intellectual and have not actually read any serious scholarly works recently about my beloved Rome. However, I continue to be enthralled by William Napier's Attila series. I am almost finished with the first book - that deals with Attila's childhood. I am a complete fan. William will stay on my bookshelves, and his portrait of Galla Placidia is exquisite.

I can't wait for the final installment of this series and I shall no doubt shed a tear when the old Hun dies. He's full of flaws and charisma. He glitters....

Well, I have just bought Simon Scarrow's latest two, 'The Eagle in the Sand' and 'Centurion'. Pulp fiction to some, but what the heck - I like them! And anyway, my last read was 'The Roman Empire at Bay' by David Potter. So a little 'Cathryn Cookson for Boys' is a welcome break just now.

Well, I have just bought Simon Scarrow's latest two, 'The Eagle in the Sand' and 'Centurion'. Pulp fiction to some, but what the heck - I like them! And anyway, my last read was 'The Roman Empire at Bay' by David Potter. So a little 'Cathryn Cookson for Boys' is a welcome break just now.

Excellent choice NN, you can't beat a bit of Macro and Cato, I've recently got ' Centurion' but have yet to read it but I'm sure when I do it'll be another rip roaring adventure.

"Cathryn Cookson for boys"...... I like it :blink::furious:

There's a huge difference between Catherine Cookson and Simon Scarrow. Cookson's books are set firmly in their own time. :D