UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
aiden12

What's the last book you read?

a novel in which archeologist discover the shipwreck of St Paul,

I'm assuming the setting for that would have been the island of Malta?

in fact no, it is near Sicily, and the author develops why he thinks so but I'll let you find out :) Let's just say that he doubt a lot that a grain supply ship would go toward Malta and also that the short time span between the wreckage and the arrival in a big sicilian city is too short.

I finished reading Roman Art: From Romulus to Constantine. I rather enjoyed it, but I bought a cheap used copy. Not sure I'd pay full sticker price for it.

Just finished "Antony and Cleopatra" by Colleen McCullough. An entertaining read, as I felt all of her books from this series were. Well researched as always.

I've been reading "Nero, the End of a Dynasty" by Miriam Griffian on the side as well.

Going to begin "The Skystone" by Jack Whyte tonight.

What's the last book you read? What was it about? Did you like it?

Currently reading "Knights of the Black and White" and its very interesting, before that I read "The Orthodox Church" and before that the first volume of John Julius Norwich's "Byzantium" called "The Early Centuries". I recommend all of these, they are really interesting.

The Mongols by Stephen Turnbull. I've been a big fan of Stephen Turnbull ever since I'd read his books on Medieval Knights and Japanese Samurai ( He is the leading expert on Japanese feudal warfare outside of Japan), and The Mongols did not disappoint.

It's basically a very short overview of Mongol campaigns, from battles against Khwarazim Empire, to China, Japan, Poland, Hungary, Russia, Iraq, Vietnam etc

It gives you a great appreciation of how powerful the Mongol War Machine must have been in its heyday, allowing Genghis and his descendants to conquer the largest land empire in history.

I'm really hitting the fiction at the moment and I'm in the middle of the final instalment of the Attila trilogy by William Napier. The first novel was brilliant, the second a bit of a 'filler', but this third one is pulling out all the stops so far. Napier manages to convey the sense of fear that the Eastern - and Western - Empires experienced at the threat of this monster of a man. The third book opens with the famous heroic last stand of the VII at Viminacium - and I was living that siege with them all.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this - and the author is clever. During his first two books he had us loving Attila, now he is showing how power has gone to his head, and he's a bit of a bastard - not to put too fine a point on it. There are quite a few layers going on - proving, for me at least, who has been reading historical fiction since I was 10 (40 years), that Napier is one of those authors who has a bit more to say than the average run-of-the-mill popular novelist.

As I am getting back into harness, I may well review this trilogy for the Forum. It has its flaws, but I've been quietly impressed.

I have just read 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins. I am about to start on the petulantly named and significantly thinner 'The Dawkins Delusion'.

I have just read 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins. I am about to start on the petulantly named and significantly thinner 'The Dawkins Delusion'.

Have fun with that. His logic is ... interesting. I don't think it's a strong criticism of Dawkins.

Just started Karen Armstrong's "Holy War". Very interesting so far. Explores the impact of the Crusades on modern-day Middle Eastern politics.

How was it?

How was it?

Well, to be honest, it didnt say much I hadn't already thought about myself, although Dawkins does of course put the case in a very fluent and methodical manner. But then, I was 'converted' before I read it - so I found it more reassuring, than informative.

I'm finishing Nero by Michael Grant and The Roman Art of War Under the Republic by F.E. Adcock. When I finish those I plan on attacking Gaius Marius: A Political Biography by Richard J. Evans, a book I've long wanted to read; I just got my hands of it for fairly cheap and I'm eager to read it.

Just read "Roman Women" by Eve D'Ambra. A short review for this short work was duly submitted.

Moving on to "The Roman Army" by Pat Southern. Though I don't usually care for military studies, Southern's clear prose and no nonsense approach is making it enjoyable.