UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
aiden12

What's the last book you read?

The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It seemed more like an extended short story than a novel, but it was a very entertaining read. I devoured it over the course of a couple days even though I often caught myself blankly staring at the book, lost in a train of thought provoked by the story. Not related to Roman history, BTW.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It seemed more like an extended short story than a novel, but it was a very entertaining read. I devoured it over the course of a couple days even though I often caught myself blankly staring at the book, lost in a train of thought provoked by the story. Not related to Roman history, BTW.

Such a fantastic novel. I'm a huge McCarthy fan, and I really enjoyed The Road.

As for me, I finally started reading Gaius Marius: A Political Biography by Richard J. Evans. I'm only about thirty pages in, but I love it--I tend to lean more toward analysis, and, in that regard, Evans's book doesn't disappoint.

I am now reading Jane Austen's "Sense and Sensibility". I hope I enjoy this one as much as "Pride and Prejudice".

The right place ....

I finally started reading the Falco series by Linday Davis. As usual I have to start with the first book. I am enjoying the Silver Pigs and would recommend it those few here who have not already read it .

Usually I dont like first person fiction, I will make an exception here:)

Having had a quick round of my fave literary fiction in recent weeks, I have now returned to the historical with Saylor's Roma. I thought I might review this when I've finished, as a gentle reintroduction to reviews for the Forum. So far I am tempted to use a word picked up from my teenagers - 'Meh' - but I will reserve judgement until the end and post my findings for you all, guys and gals. I am quite a fan of his Gordianus series, but this one... well, watch this space.

ETA: To Artimi - I am trying to get hold of The Silver Pigs myself, but will probably have to resort to Amazon, as none of our local Waterstones seem to stock the Falco series.

Edited by The Augusta

Augusta,

I have finished the Silver Pigs. I really enjoyed it, but the first person style did detract from it for me.

you can order the Silver Pigs on line at Chapters/Indigo. A Canadian bookstore.

They have actual stores and a site.

chapters.indigo.ca

I got my book in about 3 business days.

It is way too easy to order on line........lol

I also got Medicus. I read that book in one night.. (until 5 am).. I think I will have to get the sequel

Edited by Artimi

I've just finished 'Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell, and 'Day of the Barbarians' by Alessandro Barbero, very well written but I'm sure he could have put much more detail in.

I must say that I really enjoyed "Sense and Sensibility". Ms Austen has won my unqualified admiration.

I'm reading a book called "How Wars are Won" by Bevin Alexander.

In spite of the presumptious title the book is a good read for those into military history, although some of the author's conclusions are debatable.

The Buildings Of Roman Britain

A very good book, a must for anyone interested in Roman architecture this side of the Channel.

I was very impressed with it, apart from 1 or 2 criticisms: 1) no mention of The Painted House at Dover re: painted wall plaster. 2) Bathhouses aren't explained in enough detail, hence my 7 unanswered questions over in the relevant forum. Oh yeah one more thing: the author didn't mention that Tombs were to be found along the main roads leading out of towns.

Bathhouses aren't explained in enough detail, ....

Understandable though, since the buildings of Roman Britain is such a large topic and in only one volume.

Currently reading Vote for Caesar by Peter Jones. Subtitled how the 'Romans solved the problems of today'. It's a fun book, but only worth reading if you are as familiar with modern Britain as ancient Rome, as the writer gets well stuck into Gordon Brown and friends as well as (fro example) praising the ancient Roman and Greek systems of education and contrasting hem favourably with what goes on in a modern comprehensive.

A highly enjoyable and idiosyncratic rant.

The last book I read was Maty's "Ancient Athens on 5 Drachma a Day". A review has been duly submitted, and an abbreviated version of it should be visible on Amazon before the full version is published on UNRV.

currently reading Niccolo Capponi's book called 'victory of the west' in regards to the battle of lepanto, about a 1/3 of the way in and so far so good, he gives alot of info on the build up to the battle which is good in the case it sets the scene, but the details of the battle, just have to wait and see