UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
aiden12

What's the last book you read?

And now I've come away from the ancient world for a little while, and am revisiting the excellent The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon K. Penman - a novel I first read years ago. Like an old vintage it has matured beautifully with the distance of years, and captures the character of Richard III so beautifully that it must rank as THE definitive Dicky 3 novel.

I need lots of escapism at the mo - my working life has taken a huge upturn, which is nice for a gal my age, but by the gods, I'm busy! Try organising twelve orthopaedic surgeons and learning an accounting course on for size! Still, at least I know I'm not on the scrap heap. :( My long bus journeys, during which I can curl up on the seat with a book, have never been so precious to me!

I have Amazon UK open on another window, and I am about to order our very own Sonic's Belisarius!!

I hope you like it. I'm just annoyed that you weren't contacted by the publisher. :( Oh well, never mind ...

I've just finished the Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe Trilogy in four parts. Very funny.

Edited by sonic

R. Ling's Pompeii: Life, death and afterlife.

I will try to write a short review on it!

Edit: Next book finished, B. Santillo Frizell's 'Pastorala landskap' (Rural landscapes) about Roman shepherding.

I finally found time to catch up on some books as my essay now is finished.

Edited by Klingan

Currently reading "Antony and Cleopatra" by Colleen McCullough.

It's not as good as the previous novels in her Masters of Rome series or perhaps it's just me having trouble concentrating. Mark Antony, in particular, is extremely annoying and I often find myself wanting to slap him across the face. I guess the author has intended for his character to come across as weak and whiny but boy, there are limits. As for Octavian, even though she tries hard to breathe some life into him, he still seems a bit one-dimensional. Not so previously with Sulla, Marius and Caesar!

I don't normally go for bestsellers but there are a few authors, such as C. McCullough, that I genuinely enjoy. Her writing is objective but with a dash of dark humour, which I appreciate. However, I guess I'll go for something different next time I buy a novel by her. Perhaps "The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet" will do, hehe.

I just finished Rant by Chuck Palahniuk and its, well... a Palahniuk book. Enough said. :thumbsup: Though, the theme is a bit different from previous novels.

I am now reading Michael Grant's "Herod the Great". Looks promising.

I've just read Douglas Jackson's "Caligula" novel which was a bright, entertaining novel. Very pacy and engaging, I'd recommend it throughly.

Cheers

Russ

And now I've come away from the ancient world for a little while, and am revisiting the excellent The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon K. Penman - a novel I first read years ago. Like an old vintage it has matured beautifully with the distance of years, and captures the character of Richard III so beautifully that it must rank as THE definitive Dicky 3 novel.

It's not bad, but I much preferred her book 'Here be Dragons' about Llewelyn Fawr, Prince of Wales during the reign of King John. I think she captures my vision of John, as well as enhancing my love of Welsh history.

It's not bad, but I much preferred her book 'Here be Dragons' about Llewelyn Fawr, Prince of Wales during the reign of King John. I think she captures my vision of John, as well as enhancing my love of Welsh history.

I've got about 10 pages left in Christian Meier's biography: "Caesar".

After that i'm gonna need to decide what I want to read next. Either:

Rome And Her Enemies, by Jane Penrose

or

American Caesar: Douglas MacArthur 1880-1964, by William Manchester

Such tough decisions!

I tend to read a couple of non fiction books in tandem.

right now I am still reading Cottrell's book on Rome and a book on Ukrainian history. The book on Ukrainian history is very good. I just got 'Working IX to V' by Vicki Leon. Very much in tone and style as 'Uppity Women of Ancient Times'

One day (I always promise myself this), I will finish non fiction books as fast as I do fiction ones. Not drag it over months like I usually do.

For fiction, I am reading Susanna Gregory's 3rd book in the Thomas Chaloner adventure series in Restoration London. S. Gregory has 2 series that I know of. The first one is the matthew Bartholomew series (about 1200's?? ). I enjoy her books, the history is very accurate and the murder mysteries quite intriguing.

One day (I always promise myself this), I will finish non fiction books as fast as I do fiction ones. Not drag it over months like I usually do.

I seem to be the opposite: I can't get into fiction books unless they are very well-written.

I have several books on the way (Reading List).

I just got through the first few chapters of "Learn Ancient Greek" by Peter Jones. But having now mastered the alphabet, I don't see myself as having the time or inclination to progress. I'll stick to English and my very basic Latin. :-)

I just finished reading "The Spartans" by Paul Cartledge.

I just started reading "Gladiators - Violence and Spectacle in Ancient Rome" by Roger Dunkle. So far of course nothing new on this topic only interesting prespective.

Alan Moore's The Watchmen. A fascinating depiction of an alternate history for the late XX century.

Edited by sylla

Virgilius' Aeneas, translated to Hebrew by Shlomo Dykman, his translation is superb and I find myself enjoying his Hebrew as much as the plot of Virgilius.

Alan Moore's The Watchmen. A fascinating depiction of an alternate history for the late XX century.

I've read it, I think it's the most interesting and original depicting of super-heroes in comics books.