UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
aiden12

What's the last book you read?

I just finished "Eagle in the Snow" by Wallace Breem. It was a far departure from Scarrow and Duffy and took a good 50-75 pages before it sucked me in.

But I'm still thinking about it. I think that, for me, defines a special kind of book.

I am just about to read that. So it is very different from Scarrow you say? well I might still read it all the same...

I just finished "Eagle in the Snow" by Wallace Breem. It was a far departure from Scarrow and Duffy and took a good 50-75 pages before it sucked me in.

But I'm still thinking about it. I think that, for me, defines a special kind of book.

I am just about to read that. So it is very different from Scarrow you say? well I might still read it all the same...

Don't give up on it until you get through those first 75 pages or so. It's much more subtle than Scarrow. Let me know what you think once you start digging in.

Don't give up on it until you get through those first 75 pages or so. It's much more subtle than Scarrow. Let me know what you think once you start digging in.

I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

It truly a wonderful melancholy book

also so much is implied but in such a way that you know what happend.

As I've said before, I absolutely love this book, it's the book that sparked my interest in Rome when I was young and I've read and re-read it many times since. JGolomb hit the nail on the head when he said that even after he'd finished it he was still thinking about it. I can't pin point the exact reason why I think it's so good, I've read books that are more exciting and entertaining but Eagle in the Snow was just so well written and evocative that it got me hooked on ancient Rome and for that I'm eternally grateful.

CROW PLANET

Essential Wisdom From the Urban Wilderness

By Lyanda Lynn Haupt

I just read a review of this book. Since I find crows very interesting, it has been adding to my ever growing list of books to find, buy and read..

Has any one read it yet?

Alessandro Barbero's "The Day of the Barbarians" - tightly written and enjoyable read about the Battle at Adrianople of 378.

If you liked Breem's "Eagle" then you'll enjoy this non-fiction look at events leading up to the barbarian massing along the Rhine.

I just finished Watchmen, it was a good book.

I am also just starting to read Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell. It is a great book, and I have read it many times. I recommend it to all of you if you like historic fiction.

I both began and finished yesterday Mr. Matyszak book "The classical compendium". A fast read, nice but with some issues I'll probably raise in a more detailled review but which includes some doublon in the facts, a kind of bias toward english related curios, a lack of consistency in sources details, and a few other points. Nothing truly bad and I presume my academic training might be a bit of a bias here. I still have to check the bibliography and some elements before completing my review though, so it'll probably have to wait until this weekend. Anyway, as I first said it is a pleasant reading so congratulations to the author (and to Nephele for her help to Mr Matyszak, maybe with the dog's names lists ?) !

Currently reading Peter Heather's The Fall of Rome.

He basic argument conflicts with Gibbon, stating it was external factors that led to the downfall of the Western Empire and the degradation of the Eastern.

Not far into yet, but pretty good so far.

Doc

Alessandro Barbero's "The Day of the Barbarians" - tightly written and enjoyable read about the Battle at Adrianople of 378.

If you liked Breem's "Eagle" then you'll enjoy this non-fiction look at events leading up to the barbarian massing along the Rhine.

I just received Barbero's in the mail. Online bookstores are way to easy to use. Looking forward to reading it.

I seem to be reading more about the later empire than I used.

I just received Barbero's in the mail. Online bookstores are way to easy to use. Looking forward to reading it.

Artimi - let me know what you think. And as you're reading, check out the postings on the "barberization" of the roman army. The book is highly relevant to that discussion.

Artimi - let me know what you think. And as you're reading, check out the postings on the "barberization" of the roman army. The book is highly relevant to that discussion.

Reading this book is like watching a train wreck happening or something like that.

Reading this book is like watching a train wreck happening or something like that.

Artimi - that made me laugh. It's hard not to have that feeling when you know how it's going to end, right?

I wasn't all that familiar with late Imperial Rome, but it's eye opening how Barbero lays out that the Empire wasn't quite in so much decline as perceived. So it's actually like watching a train wreck about to happen, but one of the engineers isn't aware that he's on the same track as the other.