UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
aiden12

What's the last book you read?

Alessandro Barbero's "The Day of the Barbarians" - tightly written and enjoyable read about the Battle at Adrianople of 378.

If you liked Breem's "Eagle" then you'll enjoy this non-fiction look at events leading up to the barbarian massing along the Rhine.

I just received Barbero's in the mail. Online bookstores are way to easy to use. Looking forward to reading it.

I seem to be reading more about the later empire than I used.

Artimi - let me know what you think. And as you're reading, check out the postings on the "barberization" of the roman army. The book is highly relevant to that discussion.

I finished the book.. The train wreck happened according to schedule and the surviving passengers climbed aboard the next train, not realizing it too would end in wreckage.

this book is relevant to 2 topics: Barbarization of the army and the new topic Justinian vs Theodoric. I will try to sort the ideas in mind and see if I can put them in 'scholarly' comments in the relevant topics..

Also I think in my own weird way this also ties in with that wonderful Breem book.

Edited by Artimi

Currently reading Peter Heather's The Fall of Rome.

He basic argument conflicts with Gibbon, stating it was external factors that led to the downfall of the Western Empire and the degradation of the Eastern.

Not far into yet, but pretty good so far.

Doc

I have tried to read this book a couple of times.

I felt Bryan Ward-Perkins book: The Fall of Rome and the end of civilization, had more to offer, more concisely.

Currently reading Peter Heather's The Fall of Rome.

He basic argument conflicts with Gibbon, stating it was external factors that led to the downfall of the Western Empire and the degradation of the Eastern.

Not far into yet, but pretty good so far.

Doc

I have tried to read this book a couple of times.

I felt Bryan Ward-Perkins book: The Fall of Rome and the end of civilization, had more to offer, more concisely.

We agree; I still consider Ward-Perkins' book as the best analysis on this rather complex issue; in fact, as he ought to explain what was there before it fell, there's a lot of useful information on the late Classical Antiquity within his work. He made a prudent use of the best available evidence from both archaeology and textual sources, and in general terms his logical process is unimpeachable.

I finished the book.. The train wreck happened according to schedule and the surviving passengers climbed aboard the next train, not realizing it too would end in wreckage.

this book is relevant to 2 topics: Barbarization of the army and the new topic Justinian vs Theodoric. I will try to sort the ideas in mind and see if I can put them in 'scholarly' comments in the relevant topics..

Also I think in my own weird way this also ties in with that wonderful Breem book.

Artimi - I agree...I read "Barbarians" shortly after Breem and I had very little background (or interest) in late Empire until reading those books. I don't think it's a stretch to connect the two books - so much of Breem is about change...both on a global level as well as personal. Quintus (I think) even references the Battle at Adrianople in a conversation with Maximus...specifically referencing how the battle was won in large part due to the barbarians riding with stirrups (you'll have to check me on that...I can't quite recall and don't have the book with me).

I just read Michael Curtis Ford's "The Fall of Rome". Not being all that familiar with the years leading up to and including Romulus Augustus, I'm unclear on the historical accuracy (granted...it's historical FICTION). The book got hammered a little bit in the Amazon.com rankings, but I really enjoyed it.

"Fall" is no "Eagle in the Snow"...I've not come across anything with the depth, heart and earnesty of "Eagle". Ford's characters were solid and, while not especially deep, their motivations and characterizations were solid. And the action sequences were fun. By comparison, I've read Iggulden and haven't enjoyed the Emperor series nearly as much as his Genghis Khan triology. In fact, I've only made it through two of his Julius Caesar books and don't have any plans of picking up the other two. The story diverged way too much from history for my taste and without any identifiable rhyme or reason.

Interestingly, if you're familiar with Iggulden's Emperor and Genghis books, Ford's "Fall" is an interesting mix of both - lots of mongolian-like barbarians mixed in with late-roman army action.

I'll look for your post on Barbarians...I just came across a review of a recently published book called "Europe

I am now reading Eagle and the Snow...it is brilliant. I am just about finished. I am near the end now, where they are at the 13th milestone and have decided to fight it out. I think this book is one of my favorites that I have read this year.

Just finished "Imperium" bu Robert Harris. It's about the political ascension of Cicero. It is a novel, but very true to historical events and places. I'd give it 3.5 stars out of 5.

Just finished "Imperium" bu Robert Harris. It's about the political ascension of Cicero. It is a novel, but very true to historical events and places. I'd give it 3.5 stars out of 5.

I hate to say this, Neoflash, but I think you're being very hard on Mr. Harris, there. 'Imperium' doesn't have the pace and, well, sheer adventure of 'Pompeii', but you've got to admire the man for his research, and ability to spin a very detailed, enjoyable and readable yarn around the established facts. I wouldn't hesitate to give it four-and-a-half stars, and if I hadn't read 'Pompeii' first, would've probably gone the whole hog with 5/5.

I hate to say this, Neoflash, but I think you're being very hard on Mr. Harris, there. 'Imperium' doesn't have the pace and, well, sheer adventure of 'Pompeii', but you've got to admire the man for his research, and ability to spin a very detailed, enjoyable and readable yarn around the established facts. I wouldn't hesitate to give it four-and-a-half stars, and if I hadn't read 'Pompeii' first, would've probably gone the whole hog with 5/5.

I guess it depends on one's perspective. The rating I gave was purely based on the enjoyment factor. Five star would be my favourite reading experience ever and one star would be the worst. As you point out, the book is a masterpiece when it comes to ability to spin a very detailed, enjoyable and readable yarn around the established facts. But was it a fun ride? Was I gripped, enthralled, amazed while reading it? At times I was, but not as much as with many other books I've read. In Imperium, the political intigue was very good, but I thought the characters were a bit flat and the whole thing was a bit rigid, lacked emotional engagement. 3.5 stars is not a bad rating, I certainly recommend the book and did enjoy reading it, just not as much as many others I've read.

I'm just about finished with the second part of Robert Graves' fictional autobiography of Claudius - Claudius the God.

It's enjoyable, but not as strong as I, Claudius. I've been waiting for him to address the Agrippina/Nero years, and I'm just hitting that era in the final 90 pages or so. Graves' prose is so comfortable...it's amazing that he makes some of the most benign and uninteresting topics so interesting and story-worthy.

For Simon Scarrow fans, Claudius the God contains the Claudius-version of the battle in which he took part against the Caractacus-led Britons. Including the elephants! Needless to say, the perspective is quite different from frustrations Scarrow paints in the characters of Vespasian and Plautius. There are a couple of references to Vespasian and Legion II.

A fun book, but not as fun as the early Roman Imperial period that Graves' addresses in the first book.

I recently got through Forgotten Victory by Gary Sheffield, which re-evaluates the performance of the British Army during the First World War. On the subject of the classics I read It's all Greek to Me by Charlotte Higgins. I enjoyed both books but I found Sheffield's book to be an eye opener.

"A History of Pagan Europe." A decent overview of the subject, from Crete to the Baltic.

If it's by Nigel Pennick and Prudence Jones I got the German translation of this book and enjoyed reading it. It is indeed a good overview of the European Pagan cults.

I'm currently reading the second of James Duffy's "Gladiators of Rome" series, called "A Fight for Rome". I have to tell you that I love it so far. Duffy takes the main characters out of the arena and puts them in the middle of the so-called year of four emperors. It's fun history and gives Duffy an opportunity to expand his battle-writing beyond your typical gladiator scenes into larger war scenarios. I've not yet gotten to Scarrow's "Eagle's Prey" but it sounds like with the addition of Roman Naval scenes, he was seeking ways to jump outside of the typical battles which were becoming all too similar.

Duffy is a very solid writer and the book is surprisingly (and fortunately) light on hokieness. I'd highly recommend both of his books to the Scarrow crowd and I wouldn't be surprised if many folks don't end up favoring Duffy's story telling.

the_fight_for_rome.jpg

-------------------------------------------

I just finished a newly released book written from notes left by Gary Jennings called "Apocalypse 2012: A Novel". If you're not familiar with Jennings, I would absolutely recommend his "Aztec". It's a story that's stuck with me a solid two years after I read it. Jennings passed away but his former editor and another author have continued to release books under Jennings' name. Below is a quick review if you're interested:

Many familiar with Gary Jennings' "Aztec" series will enjoy this book. Expectations should be measured, however, because "2012" is only Gary Jennings 'Lite'. Since 'Lite' is all one can get, then one should go for it. At the end of the day the book is enjoyable.

The delight I find from Jennings' original two "Aztec" books (and to a lesser extent in his Marco Polo-based novel "Journeyer") is the emotional depth and range of the key characters. It's been almost two years since I first discovered "Aztec" and I still find my thoughts drifting to the myriad tales of Mixtli Dark Cloud. Mixtli's inner monologue and narrative is what defines Jennings' characters. I find that tone very recognizable and comfortable.

"2012" bounces back and forth between early 1000 A.D. and modern day. The plot lines of the two times generally follow each other on a search to answer the questions of when, why, and what cataclysmic end will come to the earth. There are about twice as many pages dedicated to the main Aztec character, Coyotl, and his adventures than the modern day vignettes. If the book is Gary Jennings 'Lite', then you'll be as pleased as I was that the focus is on Coyotl, who could justifiably be considered Mixtil Dark Cloud 'Lite'.

"Apocalypse 2012" is purportedly based on Jennings' own notes found after his death in 1999. This book is not great. The storyline is unbalanced and, at some points, a little nonsensical. I found myself thumbing back through some sections trying to reconcile some of the actions. Ultimately, I threw my hands up and let myself enjoy the ride.

Though 384 pages (MUCH shorter than "Aztec"), the book is an extremely easy and quick read. Few chapters run more than 10 pages long.

If your expectations are set appropriately, and you pine for Gary Jennings, then buy this book. If you're looking for another "Aztec", then you'll have to keep searching. For those who haven't tried Jennings, this isn't a terrible introduction. But just be aware that this is more of an appetizer - the main course is "Aztec".

gjalg.jpg