UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
DecimusCaesar

Which Roman Films/TV series would you Recommend?

Since I first posted the list I've seen many Roman films, including:

The Caesars (1968): The dvd was wrecked ( it looked like its previous owner had kicked it around the house and stabbed and torn the cover!) and despite the series having not weathered very well (grainy images, poor sound) I've enjoyed this series - I've only got one episode left to watch.

A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Forum (1966): Thanks for recommending this Flavia and Nephele! I really enjoyed it. Catchy music and great scenes. A great part from Michael Crawford as well.

Spartacus (2004): I didn't expect to like this much, but depsite all its errors it was an enjoyable and solid TV movie. Much more accurate than the Kubrick movie, although not nearly as epic.

Caligula (1979): You need a wash after watching this... A very bizzare portrayl of Rome. It did a good job of managing to capture some of the brutality of the Romans.

Fall of the Roman Empire (1964): Got a second hand copy of this through the post. The seller didn't say anything about just sending a DVD disc in an envelope (no box or cover) ...Oh Well! Despite being badly edited in some parts, and being rather slow in others, it was a good film. The sets were very impressive.

Attila (2001): Haven't got round to watching this yet. From what i can see on the cover, it doesn't look like its going to be an accurate portrayl of the period. Gerard Butler playing a grotesque, bloodthirsty asian king whose face has been scarred in ritual?

DO NOT GET THE LAST LEGION

I do not rate it highly at all, but that is my opinion

vtc

Edited by Vibius Tiberius Costa

I, Claudius is the standard against which all others are measured IMO.

After that, my personal fave was the Jeremy Sisto version of Julius Caesar. I could have made do with some different casting choices, but all told I thought it was historically accurate in large part and the sets were first rate (particularly the siege of Alesia)

I think "I, Claudius" is the best Roman drama I've seen on Televison, every episode is a gem :D .

And you just gotta love the title theme music :whistling: .

I enjoyed I, Claudius immensely, too, and have probably watched it now more than a dozen times through. But last year I was introduced to The Caesars, a black & white production that pre-dated I, Claudius, and I found it absolutely outstanding.

Tiberius isn't quite the monster in The Caesars as he winds up becoming in I, Claudius and, interestingly, the same actor who plays Tiberius' sidekick astrologer appears in the same role in both productions. The Caligula of The Caesars is a truly frightening, calculating piece of work. (I'm sorry, but John Hurt's Caligula in I, Claudius just seemed nuts, to me.) Freddie Jones, although perhaps not as endearing as Derek Jacobi in his I, Claudius role, nevertheless made a brilliant Claudius in The Caesars.

The Caesars definitely gets my recommendation.

-- Nephele

THE CAESARS!!!

fantastic!

When I first put it on the grainy black and white film and wobbly sets made me think I'd wasted my cash. 30 minutes later I WAS HOOKED!

Tiberius (acted by Andre Morrell) is so full of shade and depth....breathtaking.

Several of the I, Claudius actors are in it. Have a go at spotting them.

I would love to see a modern remake of The Caesars with better sets, costumes and in colour/dolby sound but I very much doubt the original could be bettered in regard to the story and acting.

A MUST OWN DVD

Along the documentary/educational lines, some other good television shows are "Rome: Power and Glory" (I know, I know ... they show the same schlocky, grainy B movie clips over and over) and "Engineering an Empire." I also get a kick out of "What the Romans Did For Us" as well.

HBO "Rome"

Hand down the best work as of late. The "A" story was very emotional with Pullo and Vorenus. I found it hard to fight back tears. The "B" story with everyone else just helped to carry the rest of the show. John Stamp did a great job explaining all the details of roman life. It really should be applauded.

********* out of 10

Titus

The other night I watched Mel Brookes History of the World

This film is absolutely hilarious it's a spoof of world history throughout different periods of time, obviously the part of the film dedicated to roman times is a particular favorite and is extremely funny as is the Spanish Inquisition sing song.

For a light hearted look at history you've got to see this film.

I've seen History of the World: Part One a few times on TV. It's very funny, and filled with lots of memorable one liners. I also liked how when a few Roman soldiers rushed into the Temple of Vesta, the Vestals put on special belts with no entry symbols on them. By the way, did anyone notice John Hurt as Jesus in the movie?

Despite the many obvious historical inaccuracies (where are the pila when you need them?), the opening battle scene was very powerful. I even enjoyed the ridiculous and unlikely musings of Marcus Aurelius about returning the power to the Senate.

Did you get the part about his two favorite horses he talked to the boy about? Scatto and Argento? (Ok, it's Italian, not Latin, but it means "Trigger and Silver") I know that they didn't write that in by accident.

I really liked that movie. It was nice to see Sulla in a movie. I thought Chris Noth was really good as Pompey. Jeremy Sisto, I just loved as Caesar. I just saw another side of Caesar with this movie. I can see why people would love Caesar from this movie.

I love HBO's Rome, Hinds was wonderful. I though the actor that played Pompey Magnus was good, I just felt he was too old. Pompey was about (give or take) 47 when he married Julia.

The Jeremy Sisto "Julius Caesar" had some nice moments. Sulla was presented as the wicked old villain that he was. The depiction of Pompey was among the best I've seen -- you could actually imagine him as the sort for whom Caesar would carry water. Christopher Walken as Cato was simply funny (and, again, TOO OLD). While Sisto was a good young Caesar, he didn't hold a candle to the Hinds performance in HBO's Rome which was pitch perfect.

Although it wasn't the greatest movie, my children really liked it. It is not true to form, but with a young boy being the main story, it was easy for them to enjoy. Watch it with an open mind and know it is kind of a kid movie,that is my opinion also.

DO NOT GET THE LAST LEGION

I do not rate it highly at all, but that is my opinion

vtc

The film Gladiator has that great opener for sure. If you ignore the obvious inaccuracies of the equipment involved, there are two other sequences that really do capture the flavour, if not the look, of the spectacle of staged combat. The first is the 'Re-Enacment of the Battle of Zama'. Its way cool. Chariots, female sagittarii, and some real fast paced (and gory) action. The second is the 'Return of the Champion Titus of Gaul', for the involvement of animals, the distribution of gifts to the audience, the deals done behind the scenes. Just fast forward when Maximus brings his opponent down.

I think "I, Claudius" is the best Roman drama I've seen on Televison, every episode is a gem :D .

And you just gotta love the title theme music :lol: .

I enjoyed I, Claudius immensely, too, and have probably watched it now more than a dozen times through. But last year I was introduced to The Caesars, a black & white production that pre-dated I, Claudius, and I found it absolutely outstanding.

Tiberius isn't quite the monster in The Caesars as he winds up becoming in I, Claudius and, interestingly, the same actor who plays Tiberius' sidekick astrologer appears in the same role in both productions. The Caligula of The Caesars is a truly frightening, calculating piece of work. (I'm sorry, but John Hurt's Caligula in I, Claudius just seemed nuts, to me.) Freddie Jones, although perhaps not as endearing as Derek Jacobi in his I, Claudius role, nevertheless made a brilliant Claudius in The Caesars.

The Caesars definitely gets my recommendation.

-- Nephele

As a postscript... That wonderful actor who played the role of Thrasyllus, the understandably nervous and rather beleaguered astrologer to Tiberius, in both the 1969 series The Caesars and the 1976 series I, Claudius, died earlier this year.

Rest in peace, Kevin Stoney.

-- Nephele

What about Rome on HBO. Im not an expert on Roman history but Im sure Hollywood botched it up in some way but it was a good show in my opinion.

What about Rome on HBO. Im not an expert on Roman history but Im sure Hollywood botched it up in some way but it was a good show in my opinion.

For the most part, even the hard-core accuracy nuts around here were largely quite pleased with season 1. Season 2, in both accuracy and script writing, simply wasn't up snuff. Still definately worth a watch though.