UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Which Roman Films/TV series would you Recommend?

DecimusCaesar

What about Rome on HBO. Im not an expert on Roman history but Im sure Hollywood botched it up in some way but it was a good show in my opinion.

For the most part, even the hard-core accuracy nuts around here were largely quite pleased with season 1. Season 2, in both accuracy and script writing, simply wasn't up snuff. Still definately worth a watch though.

I really enjoyed series 2, having watched parts of it again. I only wish it had lasted longer, as I felt as if the last few episodes had been rushed. The series had some really great moments, and was really well acted. I also enjoyed the portrayl of Cicero and Brutus...their final moments in the series were rather moving. This series also felt much more epic than the first, what with the inclusion of larger sets for the Aventine, and the great battle of Philippi. The only downside of the series was the inclusion of the strange plot involving Levi and Timon, and the fact that the Antony and Cleopatra plotline was rushed. If Season 2 had the tight script of the first Season it would have been even greater.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Spartacus" has some of the best movie moments in history, given the quality of the actors, but one must not take it as a shining example of historicism.

I wouldn't recommend "Gladiator" for anything beyond the opening battle sequence.

The Season 1 DVD of HBO-Rome is near the top of my list. I haven't seen Season 2, but I'm told it suffers by comparison.

Anyone ever see a young Marlo Brando as Antony in Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar"? Quite powerful, I thought.

Brando was absolutely AMAZING as Antony. I was sad when he passed away.I wish he had been in more films.

I also thought that Rome Season 2 was alittle rushed. It seemed since the series was soon to be ended, that they wanted to get it out and didn't spend the time to make it like the first. You guys might already know that I'm rather critical about films and TV shows though...

Edited by mikeal1917

• 1 month later...

The Antagonists with Peter O'Toole and Anthony Quale. I recently picked up the DVD of the full mini-series (not the horrid two hour cut), and its just as brilliant I hoped it would be. I saw it as a kid on the telly, but seeing it again (as a bigger kid with greying hair) was just wonderful. Proper acting, a cast of thousands (literally), shot on location at Masada - can't recommend it highly enough.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this was mentioned already, but there was a documentary that used to air a while ago that depicted ordinary life in Rome. I think it was called "Life and Death in Ancient Rome", but I'm not too sure. Either way, I thought was pretty interesting and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in everyday events back then.

There's also Satyricon, which I finally got to watch not too long ago. That was certainly one of the most surreal films I've ever seen (and I say that in a good way). I really enjoyed it.

There's HBO's Rome too for all the reasons mentioned in other posts, and also those documentaries that air on the History Channel every so often. :thumbsup:

Here comes current Amazon.com list on "Best films about Jesus, Early Christians, and Romans" category by Wolfgang Dolbe (SIC: History Major).

First two subcategories are clearly over-represented:

1. Ben-Hur DVD ~ Charlton Heston

"The Best Roman Epic ever filmed - Worth all its 11 Oscars!"

2. The Passion of the Christ (Widescreen Edition) DVD ~ James Caviezel

"The most moving and powerful film of Jesus. Great Catholic symbolism. The Blessed Virgin finally gets her proper recognition as the Mother of God."

3. Jesus of Nazareth DVD ~ Robert Powell

"This miniseries is the best place to see the whole life of Christ. Make sure to watch the sequel, A.D. also!"

4. The Miracle Maker - The Story of Jesus DVD ~ Ralph Fiennes

"This clay amination film is a great way to teach the kids about Jesus. Adults can also enjoy it. Very reverent."

5. King of Kings DVD ~ Jeffrey Hunter

"What I like about this film is that it is really more about some of the people who were changed because they met Jesus"

6. Mary of Nazareth DVD ~ Myriam Muller

"Good portrayal of the Blessed Virgin."

7. Quo Vadis (1951) VHS Robert Taylor

"Excellent protrayal of the martyrdoms of Christians in Rome including St. Peter! This needs to be on DVD!!"

8. A. D. The Series

"A great miniseries regarding the Apostles and Early Christians - very inspiring! Where's the DVD?? If you want to see the proper role of St. Peter as the leader of the early Christians this is it."

9. The Robe DVD ~ Richard Burton

"My favorite movie about the early Christians. St. Peter has an important role here as Bishop of Rome."

10. Barabbas DVD ~ Anthony Quinn

"Excellent film regarding what might have happened to the murderer who was picked over Christ to be freed. Great Imagery in the film."

11. Demetrius and the Gladiators DVD ~ Victor Mature

"Good sequel to "The Robe". Great story on sin and forgiveness"

12. I, Claudius DVD ~ Robert Graves (II)

"Quite simply the best retelling of the Caesars"

13. The Fall of the Roman Empire VHS Sophia Loren

"This film is so beautifully done - even Rome looks real! Another movie that needs to be on DVD!"

14. Gladiator (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) DVD ~ Tomas Arana

"A worthy successor to the Great Roman Epics"

• 3 months later...
Anyone ever see a young Marlo Brando as Antony in Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar"? Quite powerful, I thought.

When I read things like this, I really do despair of my fellow man. (Sorry, Urs) I daren't even go there..... There are certain method actors who should never be allowed near a Shakespearean text. Brando was one of them.

However, this:

I, Claudius is great but I dislike Brian Blessed portrayal of Augustus as a sort of well meaning buffoon. I think the real Augustus was far colder and calculating. John Hurt is also enjoyably bonkers particularly the dance sequence which is very funny!

Receives no argument from me whatsoever, as I'm not a Blessed fan. But the buck really stops with Graves. Gus the Buffoon leaps off his pages.

Edited by The Augusta

• 1 month later...

I don't know... I thought Brando was a pretty good Marcus Antonius (http://films7.com/videos/marlon-brando-marc-antonys-speech-julius-caesar-shakespeare)"A plain blunt man who loved his friend." not a first century BC Stanley Kowalski.

But they needed a better historical advisor...the consul would wear a toga to the senate wouldn't he? that doesn't look like one, and there's no purple stripe.

Edited by Pompieus

Let me also recommend "Quo Vadis."

I've seen both the 1951 version by MGM and the 2001 Polish version.

I've been told that the 1951 version is closer to the original novel. I prefer the 2001 version, however, despite the use of subtitles. 

Nevertheless, I enjoyed both versions. I also found a new role model in the character of Petronius.

Edited by guy