UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Which Roman Films/TV series would you Recommend?

DecimusCaesar

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told that the 1951 version is closer to the original novel. I prefer the 2001 version, however, despite Polish looking actors (a redhaired Nero?) and the use of subtitles. Could it be the R-rating? :)

Wasn't Nero's father a Domitius Ahenobarbus ("bronzebeard")?

I've been told that the 1951 version is closer to the original novel. I prefer the 2001 version, however, despite Polish looking actors (a redhaired Nero?) and the use of subtitles. Could it be the R-rating? :)

Wasn't Nero's father a Domitius Ahenobarbus ("bronzebeard")?

Suet. Nero 1, tell us that many of this forefathers had red beards.

Do you mean the old or new Spartacus? Because it was made one in the 60's and one now recently.

The recent one is absolutely terrible.

Caesar appointing Crassus and Pompeius Co-consuls in the end to settle their dispute.... Brrrr.

Do you mean the old or new Spartacus? Because it was made one in the 60's and one now recently.

Caesar appointing Crassus and Pompeius Co-consuls in the end to settle their dispute.... Brrrr.

In 70 ? damn ! Holywood at its best ! Did Spartacus co-operateted with Hannibal to smash Anthony ? Why they are doing this ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In 70 ? damn ! Holywood at its best ! Did Spartacus co-operateted with Hannibal to smash Anthony ? Why they are doing this ?

In the TV movie's defence though, it was till more accurate than the Kirk Douglas/Stanley Kubrick; just not anywhere near as entertaining.

• 1 month later...

I'm embarrassed to admit I once bought "Attila the Hun" (2001) on DVD (it was on sale but still). If you're a guy don't bother. If you're a chick you might enjoy watching Gerard Butler despite the awful makeup.

I'm even more embarrassed to mention the Asterix movies but since they don't seem to have been mentioned before, here goes:

Ast

Oops, sorry, just realised that I wrote the titles in French. Yes, the Asterix movies are French productions (who else would bother?).

Anyway:

Asterix and Obelix take on Caesar (1999)

Asterix and Obelix: Mission Cleopatra (2002)

Oh and there's a third one: Asterix at the Olympic Games (2008).

Wow.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to promote these - just trying to be accurate and consistent. :thumbsup:

Edited by Aurelia

• 3 weeks later...

Quo Vadis is old but well worth the watch. The guy playing Nero is perfect.

I recommend Ben-Hur, Gladiator, The Fall of the Roman Empire (more historically accurate than Gladiator), Rome, I Claudius. Can't remember any others.

I have yet to see Julius Caesar with Patrick Stewart.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm embarrassed to admit I once bought "Attila the Hun" (2001) on DVD (it was on sale but still). If you're a guy don't bother. If you're a chick you might enjoy watching Gerard Butler despite the awful makeup.

I'm even more embarrassed to mention the Asterix movies but since they don't seem to have been mentioned before, here goes:

Ast

Edited by DecimusCaesar

Jupiter's Darling (1955)

[ Fabius (George Sanders) loves his beautiful but vulnerable city, Rome, and he also loves his beautiful but invulnerable fiancee, Amytis (Esther Williams). Fascinated by the tales she has heard about Hannibal (Howard Keel), who is about to attack Rome, Amytis is driven by curiosity to the edge of his camp. Captured, she makes a last request of the indifferent Hannibal...that he spare the city. She offers to lead him to a hilltop where she can prove that taking the city is not worth the trouble. Hannibal goes with her, even though she has to cup her hand under his chin and float him across a river as he can't swim. Before long, Hannibal is doing more surveying of Amytis than of Rome. And Fabius finds he can defend neither his city nor his fiancee against the advances of Hannibal. Especially after he has his elephants painted bright colors because Amythis thinks gray is drab. Written by Les Adams {longhorn3708@windstream.net} ]

More at IMDbPro

Plenty of 'Cunctator' jokes too, of course.

Ah, they still knew how to make movies when I was a kid (*sighs*)

Jupiter's Darling (1955)

[ Fabius (George Sanders) loves his beautiful but vulnerable city, Rome, and he also loves his beautiful but invulnerable fiancee, Amytis (Esther Williams). Fascinated by the tales she has heard about Hannibal (Howard Keel), who is about to attack Rome, Amytis is driven by curiosity to the edge of his camp. Captured, she makes a last request of the indifferent Hannibal...that he spare the city. She offers to lead him to a hilltop where she can prove that taking the city is not worth the trouble. Hannibal goes with her, even though she has to cup her hand under his chin and float him across a river as he can't swim. Before long, Hannibal is doing more surveying of Amytis than of Rome. And Fabius finds he can defend neither his city nor his fiancee against the advances of Hannibal. Especially after he has his elephants painted bright colors because Amythis thinks gray is drab. Written by Les Adams {longhorn3708@windstream.net} ]

More at IMDbPro

Plenty of 'Cunctator' jokes too, of course.

Ah, they still knew how to make movies when I was a kid (*sighs*)

You bet they don't make 'em like that anymore -- and I love those old moobies!

Here's a classic musical number from Jupiter's Darling: I Never Trust a Woman

Who can resist lyrics like A man who is a he-male should never trust a female and Though she may be a goddess, I know beneath her bodice there beats a heart that's probably untrue...?

And one can never have enough Cunctator jokes.

-- Nephele

Slave !

You bet they don't make 'em like that anymore -- and I love those old moobies!

Here's a classic musical number from Jupiter's Darling: I Never Trust a Woman

Who can resist lyrics like A man who is a he-male should never trust a female and Though she may be a goddess, I know beneath her bodice there beats a heart that's probably untrue...?

And one can never have enough Cunctator jokes.

Great one, Nephe,

And they can't swim like the divine Miss Williams anymore these days, either. (I hope my Xanthippe doesn't hear me.)

A rather dubious compliment though, I think : 'I never trust a woman ... but I might trust you ...'

Lave !