UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome - The Complete Second Season

Viggen

I wasn't that big of a fan of the music to the show. Even so, I saw a copy of it going rather cheap at the Amazon market place so I brought it. I've been listening to it now for a few days and I've developed an appreciation for it. It might not be as epic or well composed as a Miklos Rozsa soundtrack, yet it certainly has its moments.

I've also pre-ordered Series 2. I'm curious to see if the new series will have missing scenes like the first one, unless of course that the BBC finally decided to show Rome in its entirety.

• 1 month later...
Season 2 of Rome finally arrived today, after I'd been patiently waiting for it to arrive for several months. It should have arrived yesterday, but the damned post got delayed. I will be watching it in the next few weeks, to see if they have left out any scenes from the television broadcast.

On initial inspection are there a lot of extras , (like the first series collection)?

On initial inspection are there a lot of extras , (like the first series collection)?

There are lots of extras in the second season DVD set. As with the first season, there's the "All Roads Lead to Rome" feature, by which you can watch the series with explanatory subtitles.

Then (reading off the back of my box), there's also:

A Tale of Two Romes - "Ancient Rome was two different cities for two different classes. See how the patricians and the plebs differed in all matters, from jobs to recreation to religion."

The Making of Rome, Season II - "Take a tour of the production of the epic series, from costumes to sets to special effects -- plus a detailed look at the Battle of Philippi."

The Rise of Octavian: Rome's First Emperor - "The larger-than-life story of the cunning boy who became the most powerful man in Rome."

Antony & Cleopatra - "A revealing look at one of the most famous love affairs of all time."

Plus "Five revealing audio commentaries with cast and crew."

Not to mention the nifty little bottle stopper that came with the DVD sets when they were first released. :lol:

-- Nephele

:D I am using said stopper right now thank you. :lol:

:D I am using said stopper right now thank you. :lol:

You're welcome -- I knew that stopper would be well employed at your place. :D

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele

I haven't had time to watch the series yet...as a matter of fact I still haven't gotten round to watching Attila. There does seem to be a few special features, although unlike season one, they are not found on one disc but are spread over several.

As another interesting note, a new Rome book is now available to pre-order. It looks interesting -

HBO Rome book on Amazon.co.uk

HBO Rome Book at the HBO site

This page allows to you to see a preview of the topics overed in the book.

• 2 months later...

The HBO Rome book has finally been released. I had a chance to look through it and it looks like a typical glossy coffee table book. The book itself is low on details, and it seems to be nothing more than an extended episode guide with lots of photographs. I would have liked it if they discussed the making of the show a bit more, or at least a little of the history of the Late Republic.

There are also a few errors in the text - I notice on one page it discusses montefortino helmets, even though those displayed in the photographs are clearly not montefortino types.

That said, it really is a beautiful looking book and it sits as a nice companion to the series. It might be worth getting if you are a huge fan of the series, or if you still have some spare change to spend.

There is also a a lot of COMPLETE HBO series boxsets coming out including:

Rome. Series 1 & 2 (Complete)

Deadwood. Series 1, 2 & 3 (Complete)

Soprano's. Series 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 6 part 2 (AKA Series 7!) (Complete0

I have bought these individually but I am still tempted to buy the complete, entire boxsets. Capitalism! Frank Zappa was spot on when he said

"Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff".

It really is that simple!

On a more important note HBO has been supplying virtually all my 'class A' viewing for the last decade. Now all my favourites are at an end!!!!! Please GOD I hope they have works in progress to replace them. I already feel a detox starting....

THE WIRE, Season 4 comes out in March 08. So there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

• 1 month later...