UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Gustilius_Falcus

The City of Rome

Here are two of my favorites for first timers:

The Capitoline Museums are not to be missed. In addition, the main museum is situated on the Campidoglio, one of the most beautiful public spaces in the world:

http://en.museicapitolini.org/

Not many people know of the "overflow" collections of the Capitoline Museums, located in a different location. Precious Roman marbles set up in an old electric generating plant, tres chic!

http://en.centralemontemartini.org/

Here are two of my favorites for first timers:

The Capitoline Museums are not to be missed. In addition, the main museum is situated on the Campidoglio, one of the most beautiful public spaces in the world:

http://en.museicapitolini.org/

Not many people know of the "overflow" collections of the Capitoline Museums, located in a different location. Precious Roman marbles set up in an old electric generating plant, tres chic!

http://en.centralemontemartini.org/

Thanks for the tip.. I'm planning a visit definitely next year to Rome and I can't wait to plan out my trip in detail.... Unfortunately, the rest of my family is not as keen on examining Roman ruins as I, although my daughter did visit Pompeii and Herculaneum a few years ago and actually liked it !! (surprise, surprise - as she is a typical teenager with her ipod, her cellphone and usual circle of friends)

Skarr, take the family to the Via Condotti , they will faint with fashion envy whilst you examine the forum.

The City of Rome offers "Roma Pass," a card with discount admission to many of the city's important museums and cultural events. There are public transportation discounts, too.

http://www.romapass.it/english/index.html

What very useful info from you all. Thank you very much. You have given me much to ponder and take on board. As mentioned already this will be our first trip to Rome and we hope to be able to visit the main places, well, any that have strong connections with the Roman Empire, that's for sure.

We won't going until next year but it best to know these things well in advance.

Thanks again everyone who responded.

Has anyone been to Rome and if so where would you recommend a first timer visit?

I visited Rome back in March and posted a similar topic to this one.

Take a look.......

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6272

Hope this helps, it certainly gave me a few good tips and idea's on where to go and what to do.

I don't know how your fixed for accommodation but there's also a link for an excellent hotel in there too, it gets 10/10 in my book!

I guess that you'll visit the Colosseum with out or advice about it. Remember that when you buy a ticket there, it also allow you access to the Palatine. Many skip this beacuse the entrance isn't even near as impressive as the Colosseum of most of the fora. Here you can find my pictures from my visit there last year. It's the place I was happiest that I visited during all of my trip, maybe even better then the forums!

I guess that you'll visit the Colosseum with out or advice about it. Remember that when you buy a ticket there, it also allow you access to the Palatine. Many skip this beacuse the entrance isn't even near as impressive as the Colosseum of most of the fora. Here you can find my pictures from my visit there last year. It's the place I was happiest that I visited during all of my trip, maybe even better then the forums!

Terrific photos and advice.

I am so looking forward to this visit, I was only ever once in Italy but only for a few hours. We were in the South of France and very close to the Italian border and drove across. I wish we had more time at that stage to go all the way down to the great city. Next time we will be there for two whole weeks.

If you get the chance, head out to an area called EUR. Amidst Mussolini's take on what Rome should look like there's a model of Rome c.300 AD which takes up quite a few square meters, and which has been reproduced in countless books. They also have a cast of Trajan's column laid out in sections so you can actually see what's on the thing.

Another trip which people often miss is Hadrian's villa (acres and acres of it). It's in Tivoli just outside the city so give it a morning (at least); you'll have a set of Roman ruins without the crowds. Also look for Diocletian's baths, which are highly impressive and better preserved than Caraculla's. This is opposite the main rail station, (also a good museum over the road). At the station look for a crummy little wall that looks as if its been there forever. It more or less has - it was part of the Roman walls of Servus, from before Rome was a republic, let alone an empire.

Finally, for a Roman town in good condition take your family to the beach at Ostia whilst you head a few hundred metres inland and explore Ostia antica.

Even though they're not really Roman ruins, the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish steps can't be missed.

Also, one that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet - the Pantheon. Nothing quite matches seeing M. AGRIPPA LF COS TERTIVM FECIT emblazoned on the marble of that beautiful structure.

If you get the chance, head out to an area called EUR. Amidst Mussolini's take on what Rome should look like there's a model of Rome c.300 AD which takes up quite a few square meters, and which has been reproduced in countless books. They also have a cast of Trajan's column laid out in sections so you can actually see what's on the thing.

Another trip which people often miss is Hadrian's villa (acres and acres of it). It's in Tivoli just outside the city so give it a morning (at least); you'll have a set of Roman ruins without the crowds. Also look for Diocletian's baths, which are highly impressive and better preserved than Caraculla's. This is opposite the main rail station, (also a good museum over the road). At the station look for a crummy little wall that looks as if its been there forever. It more or less has - it was part of the Roman walls of Servus, from before Rome was a republic, let alone an empire.

Finally, for a Roman town in good condition take your family to the beach at Ostia whilst you head a few hundred metres inland and explore Ostia antica.

This is priceless information. Thank you so much Maty.

What I am going to do is copy and paste all the replies on this thread to a folder for future reference. Invaluable stuff and shows why a forum like this is much needed.

Thanks everyone.

Much of ancient Rome underground is fairly well preserved but seldom visited. Of course the catacombs have always been a tourist destination, but there is much, much more. There's now an entirely new campaign by the city to publicize and make available many other sites, Roma Sotterranea (Underground Rome). For a list:

http://www.romasotterranea.com/index.php?o...257〈=en