UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pompeii the Movie

DecimusCaesar

Director Roman Polanski is planning on making a film about the destruction of Pompeii, based on the novel by Robert Harris.

The film is still being discussed, and a possible release could be 2009. Many famous actors are in talks with Polanski in making the film, among them are Robert DeNiro, Monica Bellucci, Scarlett Johansson and Orlando Bloom - although I should tell you that this isn't concrete. A Roman epic staring DeNiro does sound interesting.

There are also rumors that it might be the most expensive European film ever made. If they do film it, I hope it turns out well.

Here's more info at IMDB: Pompeii (2009)

Anyone else heard anything about this film's production?

Director Roman Polanski is planning on making a film about the destruction of Pompeii, based on the novel by Robert Harris.

The film is still being discussed, and a possible release could be 2009. Many famous actors are in talks with Polanski in making the film, among them are Robert DeNiro, Monica Bellucci, Scarlett Johansson and Orlando Bloom - although I should tell you that this isn't concrete. A Roman epic staring DeNiro does sound interesting.

There are also rumors that it might be the most expensive European film ever made. If they do film it, I hope it turns out well.

Here's more info at IMDB: Pompeii (2009)

Anyone else heard anything about this film's production?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention DC,

I've read 'Imperium' by Harris but I've not read 'Pompeii' as yet although by all accounts it's very good.

Let's just hope the film does it justice.

• 2 weeks later...

This is extremely interesting. The book Pompeii is a very good read. Well written it should transfer to film very nicely.

However, as with most of these films of books it won't be exactly the same as the book. This is a shame. Having said that I do hope they stick as far as possible to the original storyline.

As yet I have not read Imperium but this is a different novel altogether and has nothing to do with Pompeii although some think it is a follow up!!!

A Roman epic staring DeNiro does sound interesting.

Hey pleb... You lookin' at me?

:lol:

I actually adore Bob. I think he is probably one of the very best American actors around, but I really don't see him as a Roman in any shape or form. And the rest of the glittery cast does not exactly inspire confidence either. Nor does the director!

Let us hope these talks fail and someone else takes up the idea, for I agree, the book would make an enjoyable adventure film. But Orlando Bloom as our hero? God save us all! Memories of Brad in Troy, anyone...?

... I actually adore Bob. I think he is probably one of the very best American actors around, but I really don't see him as a Roman in any shape or form...

Respectfully disagree! I think our Bob would make a great Roman. I wish more Italians or Americans of Italian background would be cast in these kinds of projects.

Tom Holland, author of Rubicon wrote: '...there is no character in the HBO Rome series truer to the emotional life of Caesar's times than Tony Soprano, the eponymous mobster in the long-running American TV series.'

I totally agree! Ciaran Hinds was just too frightfully, frightfully British and stiff upper lip. They should have cast someone like Stanley Tucci -- balding, thin, Italian -- as Caesar.

I have tried again and again to get the producers of my little series to cast actors with an Italian or at least Mediterranean background. I am SO tired of the Derek Jacobis of the world -- brilliant as they are -- playing Romans. Romans were Italian not British! At least Italian-Americans retain the passion and emotion of their ancestors. Give it back to the Italian Americans and the Mafia types, I say!

Having said all that I doubt De Niro will appear in this project. But we probably will see Orloondo Bland in it. And the very Italian looking Scarlett Johansson. Cuz it's Hollywood.

Edited by Flavia Gemina

Points taken, Flavia. But why, then, are British actors always hired when gravitas is required?

I would agree that if we were to stick rigidly to authenticity, then we should have Italians - God forbid NOT Americans, who weren't even in the world at the time! This is the same with renditions of Shakespeare's plays - where the actors should be English or nothing! I could put up with Italians. Americans are so anachronistic in epics of the Classical world, that I cannot take them seriously. Perhaps the reason that the Brits are preferred is due to the Bard who penned one or two classical histories, hence setting a standard. Therefore, the Brits 'doing Classical' have passed into the canon. Perhaps it's sad, but there it is. Historically speaking, I cannot accept an accent from a nation with only a few hundred years of history. Yeah - I'm old fashioned. And rather like Augustus Caesar, who penned a similar thought in another thread, this is not said as a detriment to our trans-Atlantic cousins as a nation - merely as a theatrical yardstick.

This could run and run, so we should perhaps leave it here.

Quite a lot of the senior cast were indeed British, but more particularly Irish and Scottish. :blink: Hinds, Condon, McKidd, Duncan.

I an just see the Americans in it now.... bless 'em...

"Hey buddy!!! You seen my six pack? And my legs? I got one o' those lateral thigh trainers ya know!!"

Or even Paul Hogan the Aussie... "Hey, Brutus! Call that a knife?"

Now I know Crowe got away with it in Gladiator, just... but Americans doing Romans? Not likely! Won't work.. nothing to do iwth their history being short Augusta - it's the accent pure and simple. The Romans were a proud nation who ruled with an iron fist. No messing about. You could literally take them seriously... well you had to. Now the Americans, again no offence intended, cannot be taken seriously here. As soon as they try to be iron fisted with something or someone they get hammered by everyone all over the world. When they try to create a series or film of an historical event or period they Hollywoodise it. They pander to their own folk too much who sit in front of the box dictating the story line to the producers. If it's not done in an 'American' way we won't watch it they say. Really?

So we end up with Americanised stuff anyway - even with Brit actors!! Stick to what works - it's tried, trusted and well used and folk love it - generally!!

Nuff said...

Hey, send in an ancient Roman-style Jack Bauer to save Pompeii in just 24 hours, and we Yanks will blow your poofy British actors out of the water.

"You probably don't think that I can force this toga down your throat. But trust me, I can. All the way." -- Jaccus Bauerus

-- Nephele

Quite a lot of the senior cast were indeed British, but more particularly Irish and Scottish. :blink: Hinds, Condon, McKidd, Duncan.

Who nevertheless dispensed with their brogues! ;) Unlike Leech, who retained his to convey his rusticity... (or at least I'd like to give HBO and the actor the benefit of the doubt and believe this was the case).

I actually adore Bob. I think he is probably one of the very best American actors around, but I really don't see him as a Roman in any shape or form.

But, he is a Roman!

Sort of.

He's certainly more Roman than Yun-Fat Chow.

• 1 month later...

Just heard that Polanski is leaving this project because of an actors' strike. Read the whole story here: Polanski Pulls Out

Are we really disappointed? Was he the best person to direct it? Were Orlando and Scarlett really our top choices?

Flavia

Just heard that Polanski is leaving this project because of an actors' strike. Read the whole story here: Polanski Pulls Out

Are we really disappointed? Was he the best person to direct it? Were Orlando and Scarlett really our top choices?

Flavia

IMHO, the answer to all three questions is no. I just hope this doesn't spell out the end of the project.

Harris' novel would make a wonderful film in the right hands...