UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
The Augusta

Scenes from I, Claudius

What was the announcement Caligula had just made when he gave Cassius the password for the night as "Bottoms up!"?

BTW.. it WAS Postumus and Herod who offered their handkerchiefs to Claudius.

He had just announced that he was marrying Messalina to Claudius. It was after that gorgeous scene with the ballet dance, when he was dressed as Goddess Dawn.

Where the god of night sleeps on

The rosy-fingered goddess Dawn

Tiptoes on his domain

Yep - I even know the lyrics to that song..... I need to get out more, guys!

Another one: Who was seldom filled and never full?

Edited by The Augusta

Another one: Who was seldom filled and never full?

Salve, Lady A!

I guess it was Julia.

Yep! I always remember thinking it was one of Jack Pulman's (the scriptwriter's) greatest lines. 'Living with Tiberius wasn't the fulfilling experience I'd hoped it would be. I was seldom filled and never full.' ;)

Yep! I always remember thinking it was one of Jack Pulman's (the scriptwriter's) greatest lines. 'Living with Tiberius wasn't the fulfilling experience I'd hoped it would be. I was seldom filled and never full.' ;)

One might suppose Vipsania may not share such bad opinion.

"You know, that family is begining to resemble a Greek tragedy" :D

Who spoke this quote that summed things up perfectly about Julia's family?.

Salve, DN!

I guess it was Tiberius.

Hello all. I've been reading this post. Very cool. I'm trying to think of what the first pass word is that Caligula gave to Cassius. I think it was, "Give us a kiss?" Lol! I have a question for you all. I've always wondered who the person was that went to try to delivera letter to Claudius before Messalina's death. Remember the part where Messalina tells someone to take it to the palace, tell no one that you have it, only that you want to see your father. Now hurry. Who was the person that went? Was it Britannicus or Octavia?

Hello all. I've been reading this post. Very cool. I'm trying to think of what the first pass word is that Caligula gave to Cassius. I think it was, "Give us a kiss?" Lol! I have a question for you all. I've always wondered who the person was that went to try to delivera letter to Claudius before Messalina's death. Remember the part where Messalina tells someone to take it to the palace, tell no one that you have it, only that you want to see your father. Now hurry. Who was the person that went? Was it Britannicus or Octavia?

Salve, CO!

I guess it was Britannicus.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

"You know, that family is begining to resemble a Greek tragedy" :rip:

Who spoke this quote that summed things up perfectly about Julia's family?.

Salve, DN!

I guess it was Tiberius.

Yes, you're right, it was Tiberius :blink: .

Edited by Drusus Nero

Salve, CO!

Well, actually, it was both of them that she charged with the delivery of the message. Not that it mattered, as her spinal cord was severed very quickly thereafter by a very swiftly applied gladius! :blink:

OK - which actor connects 'I, Claudius' and 'Hallo, Hallo' (probably more one for the Brits - unless our cousins have seen the latter comedy series). This should occupy you all for a little while.

Edited by The Augusta

I'm not sure what actor you are speaking of, however I want to thank you for telling me about who went to the palace to deliver that letter to claudius. However, who spoke to Messalina and who was it that said he must see me. It sounded like Octavia, but I'm not sure.

Salve, CO!

Well, actually, it was both of them that she charged with the delivery of the message. Not that it mattered, as her spinal cord was severed very quickly thereafter by a very swiftly applied gladius! ;)

OK - which actor connects 'I, Claudius' and 'Hallo, Hallo' (probably more one for the Brits - unless our cousins have seen the latter comedy series). This should occupy you all for a little while.

Salve, Lady A!

I guess it was Guy Siner.

Cheers & have fun.

Yes, I remember, didn't he play Livia's private secretary?.

:dontgetit::clapping:;)

Yep - our Asclepiades has got it right again. I think they gave him the name Pylades, or some such.

If no one else is ready with a question - how about...

What objects did Cassius Chaerea use at the tavern to illustrate his planned assassination of Caligula?

Edited by The Augusta

Well the augusta, I can't see. I'm totally blind, but I'll guess it was a dagger, or did you mean what plan they were going to use? I do remember they were going to see if he wanted something to eat and then they told him his greek balette were there and to come to the front.