UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Finds test human origins theory

Finds test human origins theory

wo hominid fossils discovered in Kenya are challenging a long-held view of human evolution.

The broken upper jaw-bone and intact skull from humanlike creatures, or hominids, are described in Nature.

Previously, the hominid Homo habilis was thought to have evolved into the more advanced Homo erectus, which evolved into us.

Now, habilis and erectus are thought to be sister species that overlapped in time.

More at BBC

Here's another article about the same find including (By some strange reason) a short video about archeology. I've not had time to read them both but it might give some additional information.

Actually, the field is in constant flux. Time was, Neanerthals were supposed to have been our cousins, but I've lately been seeing discussions that they may be at least partial ancestors of ours. I've also been seeing theories that, just as there are different types of monkies, there may have been at one time different types of humans (that is, with more substantial differences than skin color), and the homo sapien is merely the only survivor.

BTW, I know I'm not using the right words; I'm only a moderately-educated civilian and it's a big field of study.

Actually, the field is in constant flux. Time was, Neanerthals were supposed to have been our cousins, but I've lately been seeing discussions that they may be at least partial ancestors of ours. I've also been seeing theories that, just as there are different types of monkies, there may have been at one time different types of humans (that is, with more substantial differences than skin color), and the homo sapien is merely the only survivor.

BTW, I know I'm not using the right words; I'm only a moderately-educated civilian and it's a big field of study.

Indeed the field is in a constant state of expansion; both main-liners and dead-enders of the hominid family tree are being unearthed on a regular basis. Just three years ago, a new species of hominid, Homo floresiensis, was found in Indonesia.

I did hear that in portugal there's evidence that the last neanderthals there gave up independence and sought shelter among cro-magnons. The evidence suggests they were living alongside each other and interbreeded (no reflection on the portuguese intended). Elsewhere the two species were pretty much at war with each other over territory.