UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Top 10 - History's Most Overlooked Mysteries

Indeed, i have once again not read through what was going on. :blink:

oh well.

vtc

I think its pretty clear that the colonists at roanoke island merged forces and or were kidnapped by the croatoan indians.

It is interesting though.

Antiochus III

One of then biggest mystery to me, is who killed the Princes in the Tower. Before I had children, and I had a brain, I knew all the arguments as to why Richardn III did not kill them and why Henry VII did.

Yeah, ive heard that croatoan was etched in a tree. I also think that the indians were not as peaceful as one might think and that they abviioulsy killed or captured some colonists

Antiochus III

Edited by Antiochus III

Given the effect on humanity, I think the biggest unsolved mystery is whether there was an actual historical Jesus and, if there was, just how much of the New Testament (and other, rejected, books) is true?

I'd say Atlantis too. Did it realy exist, if so where? Were they realy all that developed? Edgar Casey has said something about how certain poeple from Atlantis escaped to Egypt and that their records are in an Egyptian pyramid (i'm not sure which one). But then again Casey was no historian he was a man with apparently psychic, supernatural vision. Off the record: My grandpa thinks that America is the modern day version of Atlantis and will self destruct sometime in the not very far future. If it does in our lifetime (which i doubt) we might be closer to understanding Atlantis a bit better through parellelism after all history does repeat.

Hmm, an overlooked mystery... I would say the disappearance of Amelia Earnhart. She was dazzling wasn't she.

As for the Bog Bodies being a mystery, I'd say they hardly are. Ancient text on Celtic culture/tradition, autopsies, and the belongings worn by the victims extremely helps explain the purposes of the Bog Bodies.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Hmm, an overlooked mystery... I would say the disappearance of Amelia Earnhart. She was dazzling wasn't she.

Likewise, the disappearance of Glenn Miller

I would want to know why the Maya civilization fell.

Same here. There is a lot of debate on the matter, but like the collapse of the Minoans, most archaeologists can agree that a combination of natural disasters and warfare killed off their civilisation. Still it is worth noting that Maya cities weren't abandoned all at once. In some examples there are several centuries between the collapse of one city and another. For instance, Tikal collapsed in around c. 900 AD. Chichen Itza on the other hand was abandoned after a rebellion broke out in the fifteenth century AD.

This documentary claims that the Classical Maya collapse was brought about by the worst drought in several thousand years:

Ancient Apocalypse - The Maya Collapse

Salve, DC.

Nice Video; gratiam habeo for that link.

"Mayan collapse" basically refers to the Central-American jungle cities of the Classic Period (III to IX century) like Tikal, where as far as I know, the most prevalent current exp'lanation is that ecological problems were the primary mechanism and the social disturbances a secondary contributor to the collapse of this whole civilization.

Chichen-Itza, on the other hand, belonged to the Post-Classical Period on the arid lowlands of the Yucatan peninsula and their civilization burst was ongoing when the Spanish came (XVI century); the fall of Chichen-Itza was just one among many military events, presumably in a war against the city of Mayapan. In fact, the site itself was never completely abandoned until the Spanish conquest.

Thanks!

I was sure that I had made an error with Chichen Itza after writing that post, but I didn't think to check after I had posted it. There is an interesting arguement among Maya scholars on how Chichen Itza might have been greatly influenced by the Toltec peoples, but there is still a lot of debate on the subject.