UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Top 10 - History's Most Overlooked Mysteries

Thanks!

I was sure that I had made an error with Chichen Itza after writing that post, but I didn't think to check after I had posted it. There is an interesting arguement among Maya scholars on how Chichen Itza might have been greatly influenced by the Toltec peoples, but there is still a lot of debate on the subject.

As far as I know, there's virtually total scholar agreement on Cichen Itza being the main focus of Toltec influence in the Yucatan Peninsula.

In fact, we currently find more Toltec architecture in Chichen Itza than in Tula (the Toltec capital).

8. The Bog Bodies

ermmm overlooked?

we seem to ONLY be doing this is My Archaeolody A level class heh :)

8. The Bog Bodies

ermmm overlooked?

we seem to ONLY be doing this is My Archaeolody A level class heh :unsure:

I'd like to add the circumnavigation of Africa in around 500 BC. Herodotus reports it, in very credible terms (Histories 4.42), but no-one seems to know or care if it actually happened.

OHhh, I got one. Here's the mystery: Why do people still believe in the Loch Ness Monster.

Because the supernatural touch never fails to excite?. Sighting A monster under water makes interesting? headlines?

OHhh, I got one. Here's the mystery: Why do people still believe in the Loch Ness Monster.

Because the supernatural touch never fails to excite?. Sighting A monster under water makes interesting? headlines?

Real question would be why intelligent well informed people still believe in Nessie.

It's analogous to using acupuncture for treating Cancer, I guess.

I agree with Minerva's explanation (for both phenomena).

One of then biggest mystery to me, is who killed the Princes in the Tower. Before I had children, and I had a brain, I knew all the arguments as to why Richardn III did not kill them and why Henry VII did.

Likewise. I wouldn't call it overlooked (In fact it's probably the most debated historical mystery there is) but I'd love conclusive proof of Richards guilt/innicence.

LOCH NESS MONSTER

Tourism!

The great Lochs litter western Scotland. Most are left alone (you can find your own loch for a few days) but Loch Ness is always full of coach parties buying Loch Ness Monster cups, pencils tea-towels, baseball caps, T-Shirts.........

Its the one loch I avoid!

The thing with this lochness monster is, people believe it because it gives them something to study for the hell of it, TOURISM is a major factor, but they have accually scanned the ENTIRE loch and never has a monster been found, so in my opinion

come to portsmouth visit our loch, we have a monster called the New forest monster, he lives in the loch in new forest and eats people at night, ill do you a stick man drawing of him for

The thing with this lochness monster is, people believe it because it gives them something to study for the hell of it, TOURISM is a major factor, but they have accually scanned the ENTIRE loch and never has a monster been found, so in my opinion

come to portsmouth visit our loch, we have a monster called the New forest monster, he lives in the loch in new forest and eats people at night, ill do you a stick man drawing of him for

How about how the Pyramids were built and how the 200 ton stones around the sphinx enclosure were moved? And what about the cultural similarities between the Americas and Egypt? What about how the U.S. won the Vietnam War. . . oh wait it lost horribly. Seriously, moving that many 200 ton blocks today is impossible, how would they have done it before? What about how the lost Tribe of Guinea? These mysteries all seem more interesting to me than the ones viggen put forward.

Antiochus III

How about how the Pyramids were built and how the 200 ton stones around the sphinx enclosure were moved? . . . . Seriously, moving that many 200 ton blocks today is impossible, how would they have done it before?

Just check out a nice brief review.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES