UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

A Roman story

What do all you top Romans want in a roman novel

Are you all interested in the character, the history, the facts?

Or is there something else

Be really really specific

vtc

This depends on whether it is a totally fictional work set within a certain period of Roman history - e.g. Saylor, Scarrow - or our own dear Flavia Gemina (Lawrence) - or a story dealing with facts and actual historical figures. But for either format I would first insist on historical accuracy based on sound research and the definite setting of the story and characters within their own time. There is nothing worse than reading a tale of modern people in costume - and too many historical novels read that way. Secondly, I would want rich characters that stand out on the page and live in the reader's memory long after the book is finished. A good story helps, of course, but a writer has more constraints placed on him/her if dealing with real events.

And above all else - and this goes for any novel - it must be well-written, otherwise I usually give up at around page 9, no matter what the setting or the story. I freely admit that I am one of those readers who cannot abide bad writing just for the sake of a plot, yet I will slog away at a boring story as long as the writing engages me.

A story. Its as simple as that. The historical setting adds colour and interest, and inevitably clever use of that era is going to impress if its done accurately. Drama, emotion, and conflict between individuals has been the backbone of entertainment since the year dot.

I once wrote a historical novel. Years of book and artifact collecting and model building, research, visiting the sites in the story with maps and nautical charts in hand (including a trip to the middle of Lake Erie, so I could see what was visible on the horizon), months of all-night writing sessions... All to find out I'm a really lousy story-teller.

That was 30 years ago. I still have the manuscript and some research materials. They're down in the basement. I'm hoping they'll eventually get moldy and I'll have an excuse to burn them.

I'm going to get drunk, now.

I once wrote a historical novel. Years of book and artifact collecting and model building, research, visiting the sites in the story with maps and nautical charts in hand (including a trip to the middle of Lake Erie, so I could see what was visible on the horizon), months of all-night writing sessions... All to find out I'm a really lousy story-teller.

That was 30 years ago. I still have the manuscript and some research materials. They're down in the basement. I'm hoping they'll eventually get moldy and I'll have an excuse to burn them.

I think ill swig back a few too

May i ask about your book, i am also writing several short stories as well as 20 pages of planning for a roman novel. Whatever you do dont burn those notes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The hardest thing i find is that i'm in australia, which is a fair way away from Rome

vtc

When I read historical fiction I want to be drawn into the era about which I'm reading.

I want not only to see, with my mind's eye, the events unfolding, I also want to become so fully immersed in the era that, through the words I am reading, I am able to taste the food that the people back then tasted, smell the surroundings (whether pleasant or not), hear the typical urban or rural noises, etc.

The patrician's feast or the poor man's fare, the perfumes of the nobility or the sweat of the laborers, the cartwheels creaking over the city paving stones or the sole legionary's horse softly snorting in the morning-misted forests of Cisalpine Gaul -- this is what I want from a novel of historical Roman fiction.

I want glorious, vivid, imaginative description. (Otherwise I'll just crack upon a dry history book.) But I don't want so much description that it slows down the pace of the story. It's a delicate balance for an author to maintain.

-- Nephele

When I read historical fiction I want to be drawn into the era about which I'm reading.

I want not only to see, with my mind's eye, the events unfolding, I also want to become so fully immersed in the era that, through the words I am reading, I am able to taste the food that the people back then tasted, smell the surroundings (whether pleasant or not), hear the typical urban or rural noises, etc.

The patrician's feast or the poor man's fare, the perfumes of the nobility or the sweat of the laborers, the cartwheels creaking over the city paving stones or the sole legionary's horse softly snorting in the morning-misted forests of Cisalpine Gaul -- this is what I want from a novel of historical Roman fiction.

I want glorious, vivid, imaginative description. (Otherwise I'll just crack upon a dry history book.) But I don't want so much description that it slows down the pace of the story. It's a delicate balance for an author to maintain.

-- Nephele

And so say all of us... Nephele, you have put it in a nutshell. And for all the reasons you state above, this is why IMHO Renault has never yet been surpassed. My one regret is that her great love was Greece and not Rome. But like you, I do not want to read a history book (I have enough of those on my shelves already) - I want to be transported to the time and place and just live everything with the characters. It is far harder for authors to achieve this than one would think. The author of ancient Greece or Rome has to totally suspend his/her 21st century conditioning and morals etc. Once that starts to creep through, no matter how well-intentioned, the story fails for me. For instance, I am sure that most people on the Forum would find the idea of animal sacrifice vile - but if you are writing a novel set in ancient Rome, you have to write to convince the reader that this is a holy and reverent thing. As you say, it's difficult, and very few authors achieve it. If the author must make any moral judgments at all in his/her story, they must be the judgments the Romans themselves would have made.

Edited by The Augusta

I think ill swig back a few too

May i ask about your book, i am also writing several short stories as well as 20 pages of planning for a roman novel. Whatever you do dont burn those notes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The hardest thing i find is that i'm in australia, which is a fair way away from Rome

vtc

Don't give up - either of you. I've been at it almost as long as you, MC! The thing is, it was always half-hearted before - and now it's more serious.

Only one tip I'd give you: all the research notes in the world ain't worth a light unless you 'feel' your world. Or put it this simplistic way - if you can't imagine yourself a Roman/Anglo Saxon/Tudor/American Civil War man/woman/dog - whatever - how do you expect your readers to believe in it. I've finally done this silly role-playing and it transmits to the writing a treat.

As for being in Oz, Tiberius - remember that the great Mary Renault wrote most of her Greek novels before she'd even visited the place! It's all about imagination and feeling. :thumbdown:

Good luck, both of you.

...Nephele, you have put it in a nutshell. And for all the reasons you state above, this is why IMHO Renault has never yet been surpassed...

Hear, hear! Mary Renault is my idol. I read her book The Last of the Wine when I was 18 and it changed my life. I still think she is the greatest of all historical writers: not only does she transport you to the physical world of Classical Athens, she gets you into their heads.

Someone writing about the Classical world could do worse than to study this book in detail. Every sentence is a gem.

Flavia

My greatest faults, are with me - becoming the lead character instead of the character being a vivid and 'real' living character through the book. I find my own insataible curiosity for all things roman, leaks in and taints the story. I am fascinated and entralled to hear other people in my unimanigably difficult situation.

Specifically I have been preparing this book for about 11 months, the first four i was still deciding if this was to be a wasted and pointless task. Although romans are a real passion for me, i would not call myself an expert.

I know this sounds like folly but more than ever i need a complete list of all the senators in Rome for certain years. Unlikely I know but oh well.

I'm curious about how characters who existed in history should be portrayed. Would people mind if characters were changed for the purpose of a story, or does (example) Augustus need to be headstrong but weak in public or publicly strong but weak in other aspects. Do people care if character accuracy is imperative.

Anyway, ty for the comments

vtc

I'm curious about how characters who existed in history should be portrayed. Would people mind if characters were changed for the purpose of a story, or does (example) Augustus need to be headstrong but weak in public or publicly strong but weak in other aspects. Do people care if character accuracy is imperative.

Characterization is important in any story, as your character must be convincing in order to engage your readers.

With historical fiction, you must presume that those interested enough in reading your story will also know something about the real-life person you may be portraying. So if you write your historical character "out of character", he or she isn't going to be a very convincing character for the reader.

It's the same problem with much "fan fiction" that is written -- the writer becomes a bit too self-indulgent and doesn't stick to "canon". Then the character is no longer believable. So, yes, I would say that character accuracy is imperative in historical fiction.

VTC, I can probably help you with compiling a list of Roman magistrates for any particular year during the era of the Republic, as I have access to Broughton's Magistrates of the Roman Republic. I don't believe these volumes include those senators who didn't also serve as magistrates, though. Perhaps someone here can suggest additional sources for your senatorial list.

-- Nephele

My life is a bit hectic at the mo, i split with my long term girlfriend (I wont divulge) and this book has now become something that keeps me sane. I would be very appreceative if you could help me and others compile alist of senators in these three years (i would't expect a difference) 158bc, 157bc and 156bc to a lesser extent.

vtc