UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vibius Tiberius Costa

157bc

i swear 157bc seems to be one of the most boring years in Romes history

or am i mistaken

what ahppened in 157 bc (apart from the consulship of a Caesar and Aurelius Orestes)

or am i mistaken

what ahppened in 157 bc (apart from the consulship of a Caesar and Aurelius Orestes)

Gaius Marius was born.. Here's a few more... 157 BC

cheers Primus/Chris

useful site for me

ty

vtc

or am i mistaken

Well... Some people were born, some died, some got married, some had parties and celebrations, some gladiators stained the sand, some senators did well, some didn't, some people got rich, some didn't, some people had a great time, some people went through purgatory.

Don't make the mistake of thinking history is purely about the great men and women who made the headlines back then. Its true individuals make a difference, but then, we look back and there is so much we want to know about how people lived, even just the ordinary day to day stuff. To conentrate entirely on earth shattering events is to fail to understand the romans as a people, that they lived lives with all the domestic drama that we get today. Problem is, no-one thought to write about those things, apart from glimpses by satirists such as Juvenal. I've no doubt that Julius Caesar would beam with delight if he knew he'd be a household name that everyones heard of two thousand years later. But then he was an exceptional man. What about the remaining millions of roman citizens? I want to hear their stories too, only thats a little harder.

some gladiators stained the sand

Some of the first, in the new arena i guess.

And I'm completely with you, i'm probably more fascianted in the actual lives of Romans moe than a roman in particular

Most probably they thought at important peoples funerals, and there were no real arenas as we know them (I believe) at this time it was more of sand covered spot.

Most probably they thought at important peoples funerals, and there were no real arenas as we know them (I believe) at this time it was more of sand covered spot.

Contrare, G. Scribonius Curio, the pontifex maximus at the time built the first arena/amphitheatre in Rome 159bc so two years on i assumed it still existed, though i might be wrong

vtc

Contrare, G. Scribonius Curio, the pontifex maximus at the time built the first arena/amphitheatre in Rome 159bc so two years on i assumed it still existed, though i might be wrong

vtc

Oh my bad then, very interesting. I was quite sure that the first real arenas wasn't built until much later in Rome itself. Do you know where I can read about it?

Here's a few more... 157 BC

Excellent site. Do you know of something similar for the Empire (Dominate in particular)?

Afraid not, but you may want to email the site owner in question?

Gladiators were fighting long before the arrival of public spectacle in purpose made arenas. Private homes, gardens, forums, indeed any open space, was used.

vtc

Oh my bad then, very interesting. I was quite sure that the first real arenas wasn't built until much later in Rome itself. Do you know where I can read about it?

i don't specifically know where you can read a detailed description. For starts verification from this site

Look at 159bc

Keep in mind that this is regarding a permanent structure. As Caldrail previously suggested, Gladiator combat and funeral games were present in Rome since at least a century earlier (264 BC, for the funeral of Junius Brutus) and much earlier in Etruria and surrounding Latium.

In any case, here is some basic information regarding Curio's amphitheatre from the William Smith Dictionary.

I'm starting to wonder it there isn't something strange here. I've never heard about any amphitheater that old in Rome so I did some checking.

From what I understand now was G. Scribonius Curio amphitheater built 100 years later in his fathers memory (52 or 53 BC) (for his funeral games?) and not 159 BC.

Lacas Curtius

indeed, the first amphitheatre of which we have any account