UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
theilian

Romance of Three Kingdoms

Hi, I've been a little too busy to visit here as much as I'd like.

But recently, I began to read classic Chinese novel called 'Romance of Three Kingdoms', and I felt that anyone who enjoys reading about ancient Rome will also love this.

It is often called Iliad of China, and although it's actually written in 14th century, I think it's apt comparison. It is based on actual history, dealing with the collapse of Han dynasty (same period with heights of ancient Rome) at the end of 2nd century AD. (It is often said that it's 70% history, 30% fiction; most characters are real historical people, and most of major events indeed took place as described, much of fictional aspects have to do with specific roles and motives of particular characters) The stories and characters in this novel/history, just like stories of Achilles and Caesar which are told throughout the western civilization, have shaped not only China but entire East Asian culture. Many commonly used words and phrases throughout East Asia are directly derived from them.

But most of all, it is very entertaining, full of ingenous intrigues, battle scenes, complex yet vivid characters, often very comic, and all in all, very entertaining. For instance, from this book, you will learn how to make 100,000 arrows in 3 days, how to eliminate rival lords and unite the land to become Emperor, etc.

You can read full English translation of the novel in http://www.threekingdoms.com. (It will direct you to some weird page, but click on 'Read Three Kingdoms' right below google logo in google search function on the website) You can also download the whole thing here.

There is also an illustrated summary of one of stories depicted in Three Kingdoms, namely the Battle of Red Cliffs, which one might call Chinese Actium (that is, if Antony won). The words accompanying pictures are not excerpts from the novel, but summaries.

Hope you enjoy them.

58224574_8b063889ce.jpg

Guan Yu, one of main characters of the novel, was worshipped as a god of war in China

threebrothers.jpg

Japanese painting 'Three Heroes of Three Kingdoms' (Liu Bei, Guan Yu, Zhang Fei)

Edited by theilian

I agree with you, theilian. It's considered one of the four great classics of Chinese literature. I've read ROTK at least two or three times & played several of the video games based on the story.

I agree with you, theilian. It's considered one of the four great classics of Chinese literature. I've read ROTK at least two or three times & played several of the video games based on the story.

Vercingetorix, Koei games seem to be the main venue through which Western readers are introduced to Romance of Three Kingdoms (ROTK). I never played them. :)

Incidently, I hear that there are two movies based on the ROTK are in production, slated for release next year, apparently in time for Olympic.

One is Battle of Red Cliff, to be directed by John Woo, and the other is Three Kingdoms: The Resurrection of Dragon

John Woo one is expected to be the most expensive Asian movie, and there are early production pictures on

. Curious how they will turn out.

I've downloaded it and I will read it in due time.

Thank you.

What a shame I haven't read ROTR, as a Chinese myself. I have been trying to read the original classical Chinese version but have it put down after finishing the first chapter...

Romance of Three Kingdoms, in Cantonese "Sam Kwok Yin Yee", is rather fictional. For a more historical reference to the three kingdoms, there is another Chinese literary called "Sam Kwok Zhi" (the ambition of the three kingdoms). It is shorter than ROTK, more historical, but less fun reading it.