UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Nurturing the little shoots

The Augusta

Can I just announce that my son got his exam results from High School last Thursday, which included several A's - not least in our favourite subject of History! This now means that he can go off happily to college to study his Ancient History, which has become a dream of his, and I feel like a schoolgirl myself all over again! My son is very excited and so am I - but I will cause envy in all we oldies by saying that the course offered by his sixth form college includes field trips to York, Chester and Hadrian's Wall in the first year of study, plus a trip to Rome in the second! I never had such luxuries when I was at school in the dark days! We had to make do with photos brought in by the Latin teacher.

So - stand by, guys and gals - we may well have a new member on the Forum soon, offering his two cents! And he's already talking about going on to Uni to study Ancient History further!

But seriously, it is so rewarding to think that ones little encouragements have found fertile ground at last. He's already asking me about the formation of legions. Help, Caldrail! And I am getting questions such as: 'Was Caesar really a hero or a villain, Mum?' Over to you, MPC!

Ah - who said teenagers were a chore? I am actually envious of him, discovering everything that we have discovered, coming to all the primary sources for the first time and seeing how he interprets them. It really makes me wish I was 16 again - and it's been a long time since I said that!

Can I just announce that my son got his exam results from High School last Thursday, which included several A's - not least in our favourite subject of History! This now means that he can go off happily to college to study his Ancient History, which has become a dream of his, and I feel like a schoolgirl myself all over again!

Vobis gratulor, Domina Augusta!

You must be proud. Where is Augustulus going to university?

Ah - he's looking at Manchester, so that he doesn't have to fork out for accommodation expenses, but I have told him that part of the Uni experience is living away from home. However, this is still two years away. 'College' in England means sixth form college (A-level, higher education exams) - probably equivalent to your Senior High (16-18/19 years old).

Manchester has a decent enough reputation for Ancient History, and there are some nice undergraduate courses on offer, but he has time to decide all this. He may want to spread his wings at the end of his A-levels and go further afield.

Aha Augusta!! You must be so proud of your sibling!! Pass on both my own and Flavia's best wishes and congratulations to him. If he sticks in we'll have him do all the talks at future UK meets!!! :):lol:

That's so nice you must be so proud! :lol:

I hope he joins us soon. He's living my dream of studying history unfortunately when born into an Egyptian family you have no choice but to either be in medicine or engineering. It's like the first, 'You know you're Egyptian when...'

Congragulations to your son!

Augusta, give your boy a big pat on the back from me, you must be really proud.

I just wish I'd have followed my interests a bit more instead of just chasing the pound signs **sighs!!** but oh well if I had then maybe I'd never have met my lovely wife and never had my beautiful girls, every cloud etc........ I'll just have to make sure that that I don't let my girls give up so easily and that I give them a proper nudge in the right direction.

Congratulations ;):)

That's a wonderful story, very heartwarming. I also came to my love of the Classics through my dear mother. The school system does NOT teach the Classics in any meaningful way, except in rare cases, so keeping this knowledge alive - like a hidden flame - is that much more important. :) My two bits.

E.