UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Rameses the Great

American Education

I even met some people in South Dakota who asked me if England was near China!!!!!!!! One even asked me if London housed the Eiffel Tower!!!!!

I met a Canadian who asked me what state Maryland was in. It really is galling when foreigners don't know the geography of your country, isn't it...

... hehe, pretty face but wow, she tried very hard to sound smart :)

btw. already Sandra Bullok knew; you have to say "World Peace" or you doomed ;)

Oh, gawds, I love that movie, Miss Congeniality. Who can forget William Shatner in the role of the sleazy, has-been Master of Ceremonies for the beauty pageant?

And then there's Sandra Bullock's wonderful character of Gracie, whose unique contribution to the talent portion of the beauty pageant consisted of dressing up as an Austrian beer-garden wench and playing a tune on water-filled, crystal goblets.

Which leads me to ask (if anyone here is willing to play along): If YOU were a beauty pageant contestant, what would YOU be doing on the stage for the talent portion of the pageant? (I know what my "talent" would be: I'd be frantically juggling letters as I call out anagrams of various words.)

"World Peace? Um, uhhh... Waldo Creep!"

-- Nephele

I even met some people in South Dakota who asked me if England was near China!!!!!!!! One even asked me if London housed the Eiffel Tower!!!!!

I met a Canadian who asked me what state Maryland was in. It really is galling when foreigners don't know the geography of your country, isn't it...

M.P. Cato, I'm truely suprised that that Canadian even knew about Maryland...what I encounter here, is the confusion(in their own minds) that America has two Washington's, and they are not even sure it's two states named Washington, or two Capitals...very disconcerting.

Alex