UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Coin find hints at visit to Australia before 1597

A coin found in a swamp could help prove a Spanish or Portuguese ship was wrecked on Australia's east coast years before Captain James Cook's voyage. The coin, found in a snake-infested marsh, could help prove a century-old theory that a Spanish or Portuguese ship was wrecked on Australia`s east coast years before Captain Cook`s famed voyage of discovery.

more at News.com.au

A coin found in a swamp could help prove a Spanish or Portuguese ship was wrecked on Australia's east coast years before Captain James Cook's voyage. The coin, found in a snake-infested marsh, could help prove a century-old theory that a Spanish or Portuguese ship was wrecked on Australia`s east coast years before Captain Cook`s famed voyage of discovery.

more at News.com.au

Well there were two arrivals before Cook but after 1597 by a dutch crew aboard the ship Batavia, i found out about this many years ago when i played the character Wouter Loos in an amateur production.

Here's the wiki article

I wouldn't say they lasted long, supposedly one went mad and tried to kill the natives, something like that. Don't ask me to verify anything.

Responses? thoughts?

Good post Viggen, if it proves to be true i will be amazed.

vtc

The Dutch were occupied by Spain for quite awhile. It wasn't until 1648 that the Spanish recognized the independence of the Netherlands. So this could have been a Dutch trading vessel flying Spanish colors and carrying Spanish coin the wrecked off Australia.

The Dutch were occupied by Spain for quite awhile. It wasn't until 1648 that the Spanish recognized the independence of the Netherlands. So this could have been a Dutch trading vessel flying Spanish colors and carrying Spanish coin the wrecked off Australia.

Okay I know wikipedia isn't to be trusted too much but in this case I think we can trust wikipedia. Link to Netherlands history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands#History

Dutch traders were trading in, what today is Indonesia, during the 1590' atleast.

The northern Netherlands were de facto independent from at least the 1580s.

And besides, ever since the revolt started in 1568 I doubt any Dutch ship would have sailed under Spanish colors.

Spanish coin is another matter, if this is the only evidence it does not necessarily mean the ship was Spanish too.

The northern Netherlands were de facto independent from at least the 1580s.

And besides, ever since the revolt started in 1568 I doubt any Dutch ship would have sailed under Spanish colors.

Spanish coin is another matter, if this is the only evidence it does not necessarily mean the ship was Spanish too.

That's quite right indeed.

In fact, the coin's date would only prove the travel wasn't made before 1597; the ship could have landed any time after that.

more at News.com.au

probably a silly point but someone could have dropped it their and the coin does not suggest the actual time but a near time, the coin was made in 1597 but in my wallet i have coins from almost twenty years ago, so this coin could have been from 1600's ish time.

vtc