UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

Legal and Institutional Chronology of the Roman Republic

Today I've uploaded a comprehensive list of Roman laws and constitutional policy that details the legal history of the Republic from its founding to its fall. Organized by era and in chronological order, over 200 entries provide the year, type of policy (rogatio, lex, decretum, etc.) and a detailed summary of it's purpose. Each entry is fully attributed to ancient source material.

This is something that I've put more energy into than I care to admit, but I am very pleased with the results. I'm quite certain that there is nothing else like it on the web. I'd like to thank Nephele for helping hash out a few problematic entries via the use of Broughton's "Magistrates of the Roman Republic" and offer a very special thanks to MPC for his numerous suggestions, additions and edits throughout the process.

It may be published, but I can make edits or additions at any time. Should anything strike you as missing, confusing or inaccurate, please do let me know.

Legal and Institutional Chronology of the Roman Republic

Also threw together this Roman Law Glossary for those who may be less familiar with the terminology. Again, changes are easy, so feel free to make suggestions if you are so inclined.

I'm quite certain that there is nothing else like it on the web.

I haven't seen anything like this anywhere. It makes a great reference resource for librarians!

-- Nephele

I think this may be the most comprehensive and well-sourced list of Roman laws to be found on the web. It's simply invaluable for intelligent commentary on the republic.

Primus Pilus these are brilliant and incredibly useful. Just what I need, I'm sure many more will also find this unbelievably useful.

vtc

Wonderful job, PP. I hope you didn't go blind doing all the research. :oops:

Actually, there is alot of information already compiled. Surprisingly though, much of it is conflicting. It was much easier to use the primary's vs. the secondaries (though they were a necessity in many situations).

Again, changes are easy, so feel free to make suggestions if you are so inclined.

Looking closely, I think the Lex Maria Tabellaria of 119 BC was contested by the Senate and thus never enforced.

(Plutarch, Parallel lives, Marius, Ch. IV, sec. II):

"...whereupon Cotta the consul opposed him and persuaded the senate to contest the law, and to summon Marius before it to explain his procedure. The senate voted to do this..."

Maybe this fact would merit a note on your list.

Once again, congratulations. Your list has proven to be an extremely valuable tool.

Again, changes are easy, so feel free to make suggestions if you are so inclined.

Looking closely, I think the Lex Maria Tabellaria of 119 BC was contested by the Senate and thus never enforced.

"...whereupon Cotta the consul opposed him and persuaded the senate to contest the law, and to summon Marius before it to explain his procedure. The senate voted to do this..."

Good eye, but I think you stopped reading a bit too soon ;) The same passage, Plut. Mar. 4.3 continues:

Cotta then turned to Metellus and asked him to express his opinion, and Metellus, rising in his place, concurred with the consul; but Marius called in the officer and ordered him to conduct Metellus himself to prison. Metellus appealed to the other tribunes, but none of them came to his support, so the senate gave way and rescinded its vote. Marius therefore came forth in triumph to the people and got them to ratify his law.

No question at all that the Senate opposed it, but like so many other laws, this was a plebiscitum. It's rare that any law was passed without opposition by somebody.

Good eye, but I think you stopped reading a bit too soon ;) The same passage, Plut. Mar. 4.3 continues:

Cotta then turned to Metellus and asked him to express his opinion, and Metellus, rising in his place, concurred with the consul; but Marius called in the officer and ordered him to conduct Metellus himself to prison. Metellus appealed to the other tribunes, but none of them came to his support, so the senate gave way and rescinded its vote. Marius therefore came forth in triumph to the people and got them to ratify his law.

No question at all that the Senate opposed it, but like so many other laws, this was a plebiscitum. It's rare that any law was passed without opposition by somebody.

Gratiam habeo for your kind explanation.

Thanks for this, I cannot tell you how invaluable it is - It was a happy day when I realised I no longer needed to sit down and trawl through Cassius Dio to find the settlements. I ought to tell my students, but part of me wants to keep this to myself, I have done enough to allow myself the odd shortcut.......they on the other hand..hmmmmm maybe soon if they impress me. :P

Very impressive list though

SF

Thanks for this, I cannot tell you how invaluable it is - It was a happy day when I realised I no longer needed to sit down and trawl through Cassius Dio to find the settlements. I ought to tell my students, but part of me wants to keep this to myself, I have done enough to allow myself the odd shortcut.......they on the other hand..hmmmmm maybe soon if they impress me. :ph34r:

Very impressive list though

SF

Thank you SF. Now if Perseus would just finish it's upgrade I could add some quality links to English Cicero texts.

...Now if Perseus would just finish it's upgrade I could add some quality links to English Cicero texts.

If you considered it of high enough quality, you could always link to the appropriate pages of the Google Books version of Cicero's works (if only in the interim). For example:

Cicero de Rep. II.60

In the example above from De Republica, the source is Barham's The political works of Marcus Tullius Cicero. This is the same source as the Online Library of Liberty's HTML version of De Republica, but, is easier to link to since you can link to a specific page in Google Books unlike the OLL version which has entire book (in this case Book II) on the same HTML page without sections to link to individually.

I know all of De Republica is available in this source from Google Books as well as De Officiis, and De Legibus. I am not sure about all of the letters but I haven't looked yet either.

If you are interested in linking like this, I would be more than willing to help getting specific links for you (I am always looking for side projects!) Let me know!