UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

opinions needed on PC games

Ursus

I am not a hardcore gamer, but I just bought a new computer with all the bells and whistles, and its screaming to play some games.

So what are some Roman themed games?

Rome Total War and total realism are the most discussed, but I'm not exactly a military buff.

Ancient Empires: the Rise of Rome is a real time strategy game I hear.

And then there are the various incarnations of "Caesar" the city building simulation, which I think I might try.

Did I miss anything?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a hardcore gamer, but I just bought a new computer with all the bells and whistles, and its screaming to play some games.

So what are some Roman themed games?

Rome Total War and total realism are the most discussed, but I'm not exactly a military buff.

Ancient Empires: the Rise of Rome is a real time strategy game I hear.

And then there are the various incarnations of "Caesar" the city building simulation, which I think I might try.

Did I miss anything?

I love the civilization series. Unfortunately the game is an experience well beyond the ancient world, but one could try a modification... The Ancient Mediterranean

I am currently playing a 5 year old game called "Age of Mythology" where you can play the Greeks, Egyptians or the Norse. It's kind of fun, actually, watching the Greek Cyclops units pick up and throw enemy soldiers across the map. I wish there were something like it with a Roman theme.

If you enjoy hack 'n slash games (As in Diablo etc) you might wanna try Titans quite. It's fun for a while at least. There's also two roman city building games out there, that I've tried and both were quite decent.

Praetorians is a 2004 game where you take command of the armies of Caesar and Crassus and wage war during the final years of the Republic. The game engine is getting very creaky by today's standards, but it's still an enjoyable affair. Might be good to pass away a few hours on a rainy afternoon.

Age of Empires: Rise of Rome was the first Roman themed game I played, although that was released about nine or ten years ago now, so the game is very, very dated.

I prefer puzzle games to intensive strategy games (Though I did like Age of Mythology). I have several puzzle type games with Roman, Greek or Egyptian Themes. They are small, under 30 megs for the most part. Write me off forum if you want one or two, at jademermaid AT charter DOT net Don't ask for all of them, I'm not going to do that.

I have:

Roman:

Roman Bowl - Basically, Arena football with gladiators and barbarians.

Cradle of Rome - Three-in a row type puzzle, where you get to earn Roman buildings as you gain levels.

Pixelus - Very good puzzle game of sliding tiles with a Roman theme.

Venice Deluxe - shooter puzzle with Venetian theme. Modern, obviously, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Grecian:

Heroes of Hellas - three in a row type puzzler where you earn hero-themed wallpaper.

Secrets of Olympus - three in a row puzzle with dual playing styles.

Rise of Atlantis - three in a row puzzle game, where you travel the ancient world as you gain levels.

Mythic Marbles - Marble game with a Greek theme

Odyssey - Very cool game, where you control ships and try to get them home.

Egyptian:

Luxor - Zuma-type

Luxor: Amun Rising - Sequel

Love Chess - Chess, with Ancient Egyptian figures, that have sex when they capture. Slow game, but fun to show to your friends. Adult!

Edited by Violentilla

Get RTW, play it for what it is, you don't need to care that much and then later starting finding the flaws and historical inaccuracies. Or get a dated game like teh original Age of Empires or an Empire Earth (I and II) are good. I like EE1 it is dated but the scenario editing is gr8 fun I can make maps of Rome and build roman armies even if they are littered with historical inaccuracies.

It about 20 aussie dollars now so 8ish pounds (i don't know american dollars but cheap) get it and if you don't like it you haven't wasted much money. Ignore the graphics focus on the scenario building.

edit: this is the four roman infantry units in what i hope i made to be a gallic forest: you can see the graphics (oh dear 2d trees). Also with a bit of easy trigger programming you can channge cames of units, I did it on the standard bearer to show you.

eeyu5.png

and this is a thing i did, its the servian wall around Rome, I did this very quickly so if you ha the tiem you can recreate a good roman city

ee1gs5.png

I like this thread im, finding it just as useful for purchasing new games myself

vtc

Edited by Vibius Tiberius Costa

I'd definately pick up Caesar IV. I've been playing that for a while and you can burn a lot of time with it. It has more of an economic lean with little military action. It has an Economic campaign (which I'm working through now) & a Military campaign (which I haven't started yet). There's also a pretty good internet community supporting the game as well. They usually put out some good user-made scenarios every so often. It has an internet play option (where you can compete with others in city size, population, most denarii, etc.), but more often than not the servers are down.

CivCity Rome is along the same lines, but I prefer CaesarIV.

Edited by Vercingetorix

I'm not into online gaming enough to offer any helpful suggestions for your computer, Ursus, but I quite like the idea of real-life role-playing, as was done a few years back by some UCLA folks for their game "Imperium" -- a sort of improvisational theater thing.

They each created their characters (consisting of Roman Aristocrats, Visiting Dignitaries, and Slaves) prior to the start of the game, and then role-played from 7pm until midnight.

During the game, "an authentic Roman feast (based on Apicius's The Art of Cooking)" was served. (Do I sense Pertinax salivating out there?)

Now, that's my kind of game! Wouldn't it be neat if a bunch of us could get together and do something like that? I've already got my ivy wreath to wear!

-- Nephele

I'm not into online gaming enough to offer any helpful suggestions for your computer, Ursus, but I quite like the idea of real-life role-playing, as was done a few years back by some UCLA folks for their game "Imperium" -- a sort of improvisational theater thing.

They each created their characters (consisting of Roman Aristocrats, Visiting Dignitaries, and Slaves) prior to the start of the game, and then role-played from 7pm until midnight.

During the game, "an authentic Roman feast (based on Apicius's The Art of Cooking)" was served. (Do I sense Pertinax salivating out there?)

Now, that's my kind of game! Wouldn't it be neat if a bunch of us could get together and do something like that? I've already got my ivy wreath to wear!

-- Nephele

Wow, I wish we all lived closer. I serve close to period foods at my celebrations, but I've always wanted to have a real feast, complete with couches and dancers, like in I Claudius. Maybe I should plan one and see who I can get to come!

-- Nephele

Wow, I wish we all lived closer. I serve close to period foods at my celebrations, but I've always wanted to have a real feast, complete with couches and dancers, like in I Claudius. Maybe I should plan one and see who I can get to come!

If you're anywhere on the East Coast, U.S.A., you can count me in! I'll bring some friends -- and a bottle of vino!

The Imperium organizer asked participants to kick in some money to help pay for the dinner, so if you might want to consider that. Otherwise, you could make it a "potluck" Roman feast. Which might even be more fun -- with everyone bringing their own, creative culinary contribution to the feast.

-- Nephele

-- Nephele

If you're anywhere on the East Coast, U.S.A., you can count me in! I'll bring some friends -- and a bottle of vino!

The Imperium organizer asked participants to kick in some money to help pay for the dinner, so if you might want to consider that. Otherwise, you could make it a "potluck" Roman feast. Which might even be more fun -- with everyone bringing their own, creative culinary contribution to the feast.

-- Nephele

I'm over near Nashville, Tennessee, so probably too far, but I'll look into planning something anyway. :-)

There was also Legion (using an established game engine) but that wasn't too good. Also there's a game featuring gladiators. I can't remember the title off hand, but don't try too hard to buy it - its rubbish.