UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ursus

opinions needed on PC games

I recently bought Rome Total War but it doesn't work on my PC :ph34r: (I guess that's because of I have Windows Vista 32-Bit) Wish I could play it. That RTW Realism Project seems great :furious:

I took someone's advice and played RTW with a non-Roman faction, and it did play a lot better. No factions, no ridiculous Senate. I played the Greeks and managed to conquer Macedon and Pontus. I then destroyed the cities of the Brutii. I could then have conquered all of Italy had not Egypt attacked my right flank!

I still find many faults with the game. It's fairly easy to conquer Carthage, nothing like the historical three Punic wars. For some reason, Egpyt always manges to become a superpower, even though it was weakening by this time frame. Blah.

I took someone's advice and played RTW with a non-Roman faction, and it did play a lot better. No factions, no ridiculous Senate. I played the Greeks and managed to conquer Macedon and Pontus. I then destroyed the cities of the Brutii. I could then have conquered all of Italy had not Egypt attacked my right flank!

I still find many faults with the game. It's fairly easy to conquer Carthage, nothing like the historical three Punic wars. For some reason, Egpyt always manges to become a superpower, even though it was weakening by this time frame. Blah.

That seems to be glitch of the game I suppose. It always happened to me as well. It's a shame really as when I arrive in the East as the Romans I want to battle the Parthians (maybe the Seleucids) and not the Egyptians. The fact that they've stepped right out of the Bronze age is also off putting, but there you go...

Another glitch I discovered is that in most scenarios, Brittania seems to conquer large chunks of Gaul and Germany, becoming a regional superpower. How and when?

And the Arcani .... Roman Ninjas???

I really hope to get cable modem soon so I can download some of these more historical mods. I have written a review of RTW, but if I could boil it down to one sentence, it would be "a nice idea with seriously flawed execution."

I know--absurd.

I really hope to get a cable modem soon so I can download some of these more historical mods. I have written a review of RTW, but if I could boil it down to one sentence, it would be "a nice idea with seriously flawed execution."

Once you get the mods (I like Europa Barbarorum best), your review will be "nice platform for historically accurate mods".

Another glitch I discovered is that in most scenarios, Brittania seems to conquer large chunks of Gaul and Germany, becoming a regional superpower. How and when?

I really hope to get cable modem soon so I can download some of these more historical mods. I have written a review of RTW, but if I could boil it down to one sentence, it would be "a nice idea with seriously flawed execution."

Not only are the Arcani (or should it be Areani?) ridiculous in apperance, they are also in the completely incorrect period in time. They should be in 'The Barbarian Invasion' expansion pack, as they were first mentioned as assisting the barbarians during the Barbarica conspiratio of AD 367.

Here's the mention of the Arcani in Ammianus 28.8:

In the midst of such important events the Arcani, a class of men established in early times, about which I said something in the history of Constans, had gradually become corrupted, and consequently he removed them from their posts. For they were clearly convicted of having been led by the receipt, or the promise, of great booty at various times to betray to the savages what was going on among us. For it was their duty to hasten about hither and thither over long spaces, to give information to our generals of the clashes of rebellion among neighbouring peoples.

A further note observes, "This word occurs nowhere else; the Arcani would seem to be connected with the secret service (agentes in rebus), to judge from the name and the description of their duties. They were perhaps the same as the Angarii, so called from ἄγγαρος, an old Greek word for a Persian mounted courier, and were in charge of the Roman courier-service; see Cod. Theod. VIII, de cursu publico, tit. 5."

I agree with you guys on Rome:Total War. I bought the expansion pack, which is cool, but the game is still lacking. What annoys me is when you conquer a city and they rebel. I usually destroy the entire city or enslave them to prevent this, but somehow it ends up happening. And the crazy part is all of the troops the city manages to raise. I can't raise any more because the city has a population of say 300. My troops are kicked out, and the city ends up having a full army! It makes no sense. Someone needs to invent a game like the old Morrowind. There needs to be a game where you are a first person fighter. You fight in the legions and have a personal life as well. Something with a story line would be great. The battlefield games are great, but they get old. For instance, in Rome:Total War no matter how hard you may try, you cannot conquer, defend your borders, and stay out of debt. Debt is a constant disease in this game. And to keep the city from uprising, you need a ton of troops. It seems to be totally bogus. Just my thoughts.

Turning into a RTW discussion hmm... Anyway how can you run out of cash longshotgene? I've finished (as in conquered the world finished) the game twice in the original form (Hard difffiulty) and once with Total realism and I never had any that serious income problems. The game is made to give you an uncertain income (as the income would have been back then). It's all in taking out maximum tax in every city keeping them yellow ;)

Anyway on the Arcani matter. They're bad yes. So are the burning pigs, they were really freaking me out. But why was catapults removed in the TR mod? I somehow always had the feeling that the romans had access to that kind of technology.

I recently bought Rome Total War but it doesn't work on my PC ;) (I guess that's because of I have Windows Vista 32-Bit) Wish I could play it.

I've got Vista 32 Premium Home on my machine, and Shogun, the oldest of the trilogy is the only one that gives me any trouble (some severe flickering on the menu screens, and an occasional crash to desktop).

Have you tried the Compatability settings? Right-click on the game icon, left-click on Properties, left-click on the Compatability tab, then experiemnt with the various settings (Windows XP, 2000, 98, etc).

What annoys me is when you conquer a city and they rebel. I usually destroy the entire city or enslave them to prevent this, but somehow it ends up happening. And the crazy part is all of the troops the city manages to raise. I can't raise any more because the city has a population of say 300. My troops are kicked out, and the city ends up having a full army! It makes no sense.

Yep, been there and done that. But when they rebel I simply retake the city and slaughter them, which gives me some nice influx of capital from all the looting.