UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Strikes

Titus Maccius Plautus

Salve! I was just curious: were there any recorded strikes in Ancient Rome? If so, what were the main reasons, who was involved, what were the results? Were there any impacts on the economy or on the everyday life? I know the first ever recorded strike took palce at Deir-el-Medina during the reign of Ramses the third, about 400 years before the birth of Rome. Thanks in advance! :)

Salve! I was just curious: were there any recorded strikes in Ancient Rome? If so, what were the main reasons, who was involved, what were the results? Were there any impacts on the economy or on the everyday life? I know the first ever recorded strike took palce at Deir-el-Medina during the reign of Ramses the third, about 400 years before the birth of Rome. Thanks in advance! :P

Labor strikes were definately a part of the Roman economy. We might even consider the secession of the Plebes from the city to be strikes. While these wouldn't be identified with the sort of labor strikes you might be referring to, they were still a cessation of work in order to enact political change.

In any case, GA Danziger published an entire volume on the subject in 1819. While there may be some more recent material, you may be able to find a public domain copy of "Labor Unions And Strikes In Ancient Rome" conveniently published online.

Salve! I was just curious: were there any recorded strikes in Ancient Rome? If so, what were the main reasons, who was involved, what were the results? Were there any impacts on the economy or on the everyday life? I know the first ever recorded strike took palce at Deir-el-Medina during the reign of Ramses the third, about 400 years before the birth of Rome. Thanks in advance! :P

Labor strikes were definately a part of the Roman economy. We might even consider the secession of the Plebes from the city to be strikes. While these wouldn't be identified with the sort of labor strikes you might be referring to, they were still a cessation of work in order to enact political change.

In any case, GA Danziger published an entire volume on the subject in 1819. While there may be some more recent material, you may be able to find a public domain copy of "Labor Unions And Strikes In Ancient Rome" conveniently published online.

Gratias ago! I'll check that out!

While you are at it, have a look at labour trouble down at t'mint. I seem to recall a strike by the moneyers that got quite violent.

Salve! I was just curious: were there any recorded strikes in Ancient Rome? If so, what were the main reasons, who was involved, what were the results? Were there any impacts on the economy or on the everyday life? I know the first ever recorded strike took palce at Deir-el-Medina during the reign of Ramses the third, about 400 years before the birth of Rome. Thanks in advance! :(

Titus:

Don't know if you're still looking or not, but came across the following this morning and thought I'd share with you ...

Unions in the Ancient World

G

Titus:

Don't know if you're still looking or not, but came across the following this morning and thought I'd share with you ...

Unions in the Ancient World

G

This it's more about guilds then labour unions. They were professional organizations rather then workers associations.

This it's more about guilds then labour unions. They were professional organizations rather then workers associations.

"We report, you decide."

- Fox News

:(

"We report, you decide."

- Fox News

:)

If it has the Fox News motto it's no wonder that it's misleading. :)