UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pinacotheca

ASCLEPIADES

So far as I can see there are no restrictions which I can amend which should stop any member posting on this thread I now suspect that it may be a restriction built into this particular forum by one of the Triumviri- possibly requiring them to release priviliges to individual members.

Unfortunately I don't think that anything can therefore be done by any of the legati until Viggen comes back to resolve the issue himself. :unsure:

In the meastime if anyone has problems posting images here you may have to consider putting up a suitably anonymised image somewhere else where you do have access and putting a link to it instead. :(

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far as I can see there are no restrictions which I can amend which should stop any member posting on this thread I now suspect that it may be a restriction built into this particular forum by one of the Triumviri- possibly requiring them to release priviliges to individual members.

Unfortunately I don't think that anything can therefore be done by any of the legati until Viggen comes back to resolve the issue himself. :unsure:/>

In the meastime if anyone has problems posting images here you may have to consider putting up a suitably anonymised image somewhere else where you do have access and putting a link to it instead. :(/>

Okay Mel, thank you for trying to solve this problem.

Back to post: Who do think this guy is?

Back to post: Who do think this guy is?

Is it Pliny the Elder in Como?

So close!

Correction: Bit confusing (try the internet, there mixed up -even italian sites), so I searched my own bookshelfs for the book about the Duomo in Como, I bought in a kiosk next to it.

And searched my holiday pictures, the description (see for yourself) below the statue confirm it's the uncle ....

The book states the same.

The internet (the wiki's, even the italian one, and lot's of travelling-sites) can't be trusted!

So, you're right Maladict!

It's Gaius Plinius Secundus aka Plinius Maior aka Pliny the Elder, who was born in Como, and lost his life in Stabiae in the pyroclastic flows when the Vesuvio erupted in 24th of August 79 AD.

Pliny the Elder was a scientist

Edited by Auris Arrectibus

Agreed, it's definately either some fundamental difference between the threads (or forums), or an individual's settings within the thread/forum.

As far as the current statue is concerned, this is a tough one. It looks late empire to me. Let's be really bold and say 5th century (or even after).

Correction: Bit confusing (try the internet, there mixed up -even italian sites), so I searched my own bookshelfs for the book about the Duomo in Como, I bought in a kiosk next to it.

And searched my holiday pictures, the description (see for yourself) below the statue confirm it's the uncle ....

The book states the same.

The internet (the wiki's, even the italian one, and lot's of travelling-sites) can't be trusted!

So, you're right Maladict!

I recognized them from my trip last year but didn't have time to look at my pictures.

It's a 50/50 chance anyway. :)

I probably won't be able to post a new picture until Sunday. If anyone wants to have a go, be my guest.

As far as the current statue is concerned, this is a tough one. It looks late empire to me. Let's be really bold and say 5th century (or even after).

Sorry - lost the plot there - looking at wrong page - ignore.

Maladict already got it right.

For your information: The statue's of both Plinius Maior and Plinius Minor are part of the facade of the Duomo of Como (on the site of the ancient

Santa Maria Maggiore) which was finished in 1486.

Beneath the platform of the statues are episodes of their lives depicted. In one of them Plinius

Maior is talking to an anxious crowd with a mountain full of flames in the background: Must be the harbor of Stabiae, when he tried to explain the

eruption scientificly and not aware of any danger.

It's special that two non-religious civilians from a non-catholic period are represented this prominent.

Quote from "The Cathedral and the three basilcas of Como":

At the sides of the portal there are the famous podia of the Plinies: Dedicated to two pagans, they became the apolistic visitor's target in 1578, in full

climate of counter-reformation, but Bishop Volpi defended them to the bitter end.....