UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pinacotheca

ASCLEPIADES

Marcus Ulpius Traianus?

Another clue ...

The letters in the name he's known by can be rearranged to spell a type of bird (and NFL team)

Hahaha! You're giving me an anagram clue? It's Nerva! (Raven, Baltimore Ravens) :D

-- Nephele

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, since I know I'm right with my Nerva guess, I'll take the next turn:

100_0845.jpg

This lady's husband mourned her

When she died age twenty-seven;

Her silhouette is at the Met

(Dunno if she's in heaven).

-- Nephele

Marcus Ulpius Traianus?

Another clue ...

The letters in the name he's known by can be rearranged to spell a type of bird (and NFL team)

Hahaha! You're giving me an anagram clue? It's Nerva! (Raven, Baltimore Ravens) ;)

-- Nephele

Raven = Ravens? :D

Messalina? :P

Hahaha! You're giving me an anagram clue? It's Nerva! (Raven, Baltimore Ravens) :P

-- Nephele

Ding! Ding! Ding! No more calls ... we have a winner.

;)

Neph - your lady is Flavian - I can tell by her hairstyle - but I'll need a bit longer to root her out. Watch this space - unless we have an expert of the Flavian period in the game...

As for you, G-Man - that was a sneaky statue of our Nerva! His features are committed to my memory, and that particular portrait totally threw me. Well done!

I like this game...

Edited by The Augusta

This lady's husband mourned her

When she died age twenty-seven;

Her silhouette is at the Met

(Dunno if she's in heaven).

-- Nephele

I think GO is right and the Lady would be Valeria Messalina.

With that hairstyle!!!! Never!! :P Let's do some digging on the clue about the Met. Gods - I've even been to the Met (twice!) and I've missed this!

Is it Domitilla?

Edited by The Augusta

With that hairstyle!!!! Never!! :P Let's do some digging on the clue about the Met. Gods - I've even been to the Met (twice!) and I've missed this!

Is it Domitilla?

Excellent point, Lady A! It's the marble funerary altar of Cominia Tyche, the most chaste and loving wife of Lucius Annius Festus, who died at the age of twenty-seven years, eleven months, twenty-eight days (circa 90-100 AD).

At the Roman Naming Practices section of UNRV, Lady N tell us that:

"Cominia" being the name of a Roman plebian gens, indicating that the lady's father's name may have been "Cominius", while "Tyche" is the name of the Greek goddess of good fortune. Alternately, Cominia Tyche may have been a freedwoman of Cominius, having adopted his nomen gentilicium for her own and having retained her original name of Tyche for her cognomen, as was the custom of male freed slaves. .. In the past such a lady might have been known simply as Cominia Festi (taking her husband's cognomen in the genitive form and often followed by the word uxor, to show her relationship to him)."

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

Excellent point, Lady A! It's the marble funerary altar of Cominia Tyche, the most chaste and loving wife of Lucius Annius Festus, who died at the age of twenty-seven years, eleven months, twenty-eight days (circa 90-100 AD).

At the Roman Naming Practices section of UNRV, Lady N tell us that:

"Cominia" being the name of a Roman plebian gens, indicating that the lady's father's name may have been "Cominius", while "Tyche" is the name of the Greek goddess of good fortune. Alternately, Cominia Tyche may have been a freedwoman of Cominius, having adopted his nomen gentilicium for her own and having retained her original name of Tyche for her cognomen, as was the custom of male freed slaves. .. In the past such a lady might have been known simply as Cominia Festi (taking her husband's cognomen in the genitive form and often followed by the word uxor, to show her relationship to him)."

You found her, Asclepiades! The dear Cominia Tyche, who has been at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art for many a year. I've seen her so many times, I almost feel as though I know her.

-- Nephele

As for you, G-Man - that was a sneaky statue of our Nerva! His features are committed to my memory, and that particular portrait totally threw me. Well done!

I like this game...

The Augusta:

First off, I'd hate to be so familiar as to call you by your first name "The," what with my being new and all. Perhaps some day? :P

I honestly had no idea what Nerva looked like. I just thought it was a cool picture of him. ;)

And yes, it is a fun game!

G

Now try this one:

Hmm ... youthful with a slight jawline ... Caligula?