UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Quote

lovedone

[B]

Could someone share with me what the Roman Statesman, Poet and Orator meant by the words "The more laws, the less justice?" How does this apply to today's society? I'm happy to be joining this forum.

Sincerely,

Lovedone

One of my favorite quotes is "The die is cast' stated by Julius Caesar when crossing the Rubican in 49 B.C.

Welcome to forum lovedone.

Perhaps you could share what you think the quote means as well?

I have many personal favorite quotes, but I'm partial to Sulla's (via Suetonius) quote "...for in this one Caesar, you will find many a Marius."

Quite the premonition and sort of hypocritical statement from Rome's ruthless dictator. Yet, it makes me wonder how history would've changed if Sulla had proscribed Caesar as he intended to do.

hmmmm my favorite Roman Qoute would have to be,

"We who are about to die salute you!"

The epic cry of the Glatiators. I have many great quotes that I like though from the Enemys of Rome.

My favorite being when Hannibal is about to get captured by Romans, he smiles and says,

"Let us now end a life that cause the Romans so much anxiety!" He then takes poison.

When the Gauls sack Rome in 390 B.C. Brennus says,

Vae Vitcs-"Woe to the counqured"

Yep all good quotes.

Great topic!

Some of my favourite quotes are:

In alio pediculum, in te ricinum non vides - You see a louse on someone else, but not a tick on yourself. (Petronius)

In silvam ne ligna feras - Don't carry logs into the forest. (Horace)

Potius sero quam numquam - It's better late than never. (Livy)

and the one quote you only figure out when you as old as i am is from Seneca:

We do not learn for school, but for life. -

Non scholae sed vitae discimus

I love the phrase by Roman Statesman, Philosopher, and Orator Marcus Tillius Cirero, "More Laws, Less Justice." An example in today's society would be the many trivial lawsuits and malpractice suites. A man I read about who ate at McDonald's tried to sue the foodchain, because he claimed the food made him fat, so if he had won the lawsuit, instead of taking responsibility into his own hands, and just stop eating at McDonald's the law might not go into affect, and the man would lose weight. Therefore, by bringing the lawsuit, there is NO justice. Therefore, the famous phrase of this brilliant Roman Statesman Marcus Tillius Cicero rings true indeed in today's society.

Could someone share with me an example on how a famous Roman quote applies to today's society?

Sincerely,

Lovedone

My real name- Donna-Raye

Yes, good example lovedone.

I suppose its inevitable in the course of human history that there will be many parallels. But its almost frightening how the decline of Roman Republican virtue so closely resembles that of the United States. Many comparisons have been made, but that quote by Cicero is perhaps the most ominous.

Its also important to note, I think, that the quote tells us that moral code was no longer reigning in Roman society. The written law had replaced general common sense and responsibilty. Today we have thousands of laws on the books. When they are broken, in many cases the offenders go unpunished,

or the punishment doesn't act as a deterrent to others. More laws are introduced which do virtually the same things as those that already exist, simply because enforcement or repurcussion isnt working. Laws, as Cicero says, do not provide justice if they aren't obeyed and enforced.

Laws are written by the powerful and their representatives. Who then do the laws, generally speaking, protect?

As a broad example, it is illegal to trespass on a person's land, because those who own land are in a position to create a law to make this fact so.

If I may interject a quote that has remained with me for a long, long time now, I remember once an old issue of World's Finest, a comic book that features Superman, Mr. Law & Order for the American Way, and Batman, the Dark Knight of Justice. In the particular story, the two superheroes were fighting a crime ring. At one point, the crime guys are outside U.S. territorial waters and object that Batman is dragging them back inside the two-mile limit to face the long arm of the law. To this complaining, Batman says:

"I am more concerned with Justice then I am with the law."

I have remembered that quote for about 30 years now.