UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Primus Pilus

Christianity in the Roman Empire

Just moved some things around... the original post is as follows....

Could someone share with me some Christian-based websites on Roman Reenactment Forums? I'm so happy to be a part of this website as well. I believe Christianity was very much a part of the Roman Empire. An example is found in Acts Chapter 23:11, "And the night following the Lord stood by him (The Roman Gentile Paul) and said, "Be of good cheer, Paul: for as thou has testified of me in Jerusalem, so must thou bear witness also at Rome." A Roman Centurion saved Paul from a ship wreck according to the Book of Acts Chapter 27:43.

Sincerely,

Lovedone

My real name- Donna-Raye

Edited by primuspilus

Are you looking for re-enactment from the Roman army or as a cultural living history group? I'm really not sure if legion re-enactors follow any sort of Christian philosophy but there are probably Christian living history groups.

I love to learn all about the religion, culture life and the many aspects of Rome in general, but I know that some groups don't believe in Christianity, but Christianity was so much a part of the Roman Empire. I'm so happy to be a part of this group. I had signed up for one Roman Reeanctment group, but some of the people would tell me that The Bible and Christianity were myths, and that confused me, because Christianity was a part of the Roman Empire. I love being a part of this group as well. I love Roman history.

Sincerely,

Lovedone

Well, don't mean to alarm you, but you'll find some of that around here as well. Christianity was very much a part of the Roman Empire, but became prominent only very late. Prior to Christianity, pagan faiths and some other monotheistic cults, such as that of Mithra were the main beliefs.

You'll find that there are many people that are ancient history buffs, scholars or re-enactors that aren't Christians so you'll likely get many conflicting views. Thats ok though, just as life was in the Roman Empire, re-enactment groups should be very diverse. Just be prepared to discuss or be exposed to various views :)

Read my post on Christianity and its impact on the Roman empires demise and you will see how I feel about the Christian Romans. I do not like the adoption of christianity by the romans, even though I would not be christian today if not for that. Don't get me wrong I am a semi-religious guy, but don't like its effect on Rome. If you would like to discuss this more please feel free to email me at kslice2k2ataol.com

I love to study about the Roman Christians, but I also love all aspects of study on the Roman Empire. What aspect of the Roman Empire do you enjoy reading about the most. The Apostle Paul was a Roman who helped spread Christianity in the Roman World. I think the Roman Empire had great philosophers, orators and Statesmen. Julius Caesar was one who cared deeply about the men who fought with him in the many battles.

Sincerely,

Lovedone,

Donna-Raye- My real name

The best orator in Rome was Marcus Tullius Cicero, he was also a damn good lawyer and a fair politician. I myself like to srudy about the founding and the mythology of Rome. Also the decline of the empire with the barbarians. After I get my phd in about 10 years or so I want to write two books about the effect of the fall of both the Roman empire and Byzantine Empire called 476 and 1453.

I'm not a reenactor myself, but from hanging around Romanophiles I'll think you'll find people of all faiths. Christians of various persuasions. Jews. Agnostics.

There is even a small but growing movement of people who would call themselves Roman pagans. While they are very small relative to the normal population, you'll find that Romanophile forums usually have a few of them.

Various religions can all place some kind of claim to the Roman legacy, and we all really should respect that. Pagans and Christians and Agnostics can all find something in Rome.

If you're interested in the connection between Christianity and Rome, maybe you should look into Byzantine groups? There are a few of them around.

I was offering the suggestion more to lovedone. Sorry. I guess I could quote things to provide greater context.

I for one is an example of Roman Pagan, a small yet growing movment in Neo-Paganism. All I ask is that we have a healthy debate and that we talk about the Roman Empire in general......don't try to convert me and don't say that I worship false gods cause in my view Christainity was just a cult that has destroyed countless civilizations and brought the end of some of the greatest empires in histroy, your god is nothing to me just another God that people were converted to. But anyway.....Welcome to

UNRV History I am sure you will enjoy your stay here.....though there are not many of us and you will find the main posters are primuspilus, Ursus, Moonshade (I think thats his name) myself and some other indivduials. We need to somehow attract people to Roman History.....I mean it can't be that boring I quite enjoy it.

Cheers,

Zeke ;)

Very good point Zeke. Now I am a Christian, a protestan, Presbyterian to be exact, so I have had my bitter dealings with the Catholics, some of whom still are bitter about the reformation several centuries in the past. The way I look at it is that the different religions are just beliefs by one person who has been able to get others to believe the same thing. Granted that I believe in God and have read parts of the bible, I could easily have been Pagan if I would have been brougt up to believe that there was not one God, but many that controlled various aspects of the universe. One way to look at it is that my God is a combination of all your gods into one. And I agree with you that those evil Catholics destoyed the Roman Empire, as well as caused the deaths of thousands, if not millions with their various crusades that accomplished nothing, jerusalem is still not in Christian hands, nor will it likely ever be, or deserve to be. Now I also understand that their are a lot of good and respectable catholics, but the fact is that the Catholic religion is the most corrupt religion in the world. Now since I have Catholic blood as well its hard to say this and not slap myself in the face, but my protestan blood out weighs the Catholic.

Yep exacly right pompeius magnus, I just asked not be converted too and the reasons why I don't wish to be converted I never said anymore now did we? And did you know that nowadays the Catholic church is cooler then it once was.....you got be proud of some of it accomplishments the Roman Religion was never that cenetercalized if Catholcism could take over my religion well you give it some credit. :)

But anyway nice long post......good points their to, but I see it diffrently. The Hebrew God was just another Polythestic God in a Pagan world, people started to fallow him because of his mystical son Jesus and that he offered more consultment then Mitharas, or Isis, or Jupiter for example. He just took over using a dictatorship of power and now he is building his Kingdom on earth. BUT in many ways I am Atheist I like scince and I also think it makes alot of sence. For example man created Religion to explain things everyone knows that we evolved from Apes its a known fact. But when humans started to belief in something truly belief then the Poylthestic Gods arose from the earth I don't know how really it just happend. Other then that Humans are made out of Atoms as is everything else along with compounds, liquids, solids, gas all that stuff. The only diffrence between us and the Gods are the Gods are Immortal and you can't see them (unless in a Vision) I love nature and the Gods are derived from Nature I don't know about the christain God cause in his sacred Text....he made the world and everything in it :(. I admit that most of my religion documents and myths are just stories and Myths but there are also alot of stories and Myths in the bible. All and all well I have nothing else to say really I just wanted to give you a fast fact.

I don't really care if your a Catholic or a Protesent. If you a Catholic you fallow the pope have more rituals and more elaborat churchs with a whole bunch of gold. If your a Protesent your a Fantical Christian with a simple wooded church that doesn't send out saints to heal people but does like to convert people. The two are both Christians its was kinda of stupid to have a bloody war over it. If you are one of the two I resepct your Religion I am not going to go out murdering you or starting a Crusade like your average Christain would do. Come to think of it if you God was more liberal and allowed Female Deities to help it out or talked about Nature a little more then I might incoporate it in to my Pantheon. But it deosn't so I can't. And Lovedone sorry if I was a little harsh on your earlier about Religion, pompeius magnus is right in someways. So anyway I am going to go read Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, great book.

sorry about spelling,

Zeke

It is not a matter of being right or wrong, but a question of faith that is being discussed here, in which case you believe your gods are the true ones, whereas I believe my one God is. However, like I said earlier a way I look at it, your gods may be my one, but seperated into different forms, or parts. My God is also the islamic alah, even though they believe in him in a different way then I do, whereas our, the Christian religion, savior is Jesus Christ, and the islamic one is mohammad. And your points are very agreeable about the crusades, before my ancestors were protestand, they were catholics so by my slapping the catholics with my harsh words, it is in a way a slap at me.