UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Games People Play

Faustus

Did Romans invent board games? In my opinion, of couse they did, as they excelled in diversions from boredom, and we saw an instance of a board game being played in I CLAVDIVS; a game of war and ships as I recall.

What is your favorite board game? The one I recall enjoying the most (in the 60's) was Mille Bornes: Check it out at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Transwiki:Mille_Bornes

It's the perfect couples game, but kids would love it too.

Did Romans invent board games? In my opinion, of couse they did, as they excelled in diversions from boredom, and we saw an instance of a board game being played in I CLAVDIVS; a game of war and ships as I recall.

I think you are correct. Augustus played it with Gaius and Lucius in an attempt to teach them military strategery.

As for me, my favorite growing up was "Risk" (Hey, it was game of WORLD DOMINATION for cryin' out loud!). My brother and I and various friends would stay up until all hours playing. Tip: Europe is indefensible. Stick with Africa and the Americas. And Australia is a deathtrap. :)

What is your favorite board game? The one I recall enjoying the most (in the 60's) was Mille Bornes: Check it out at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Transwiki:Mille_Bornes

It's the perfect couples game, but kids would love it too.

My wife and I play several. A couple favorites...

A tile game called Carcassonne (and several of its expansions). Pretty much second in popularity to Settlers of Catan (which needs 3 to 4 players)

For a Roman theme, escaping Vesuvius in Pompeii is quite fun.

We're always looking for new stuff, so all suggestions are greatly welcomed.

With the guys... I used to play a good bit of Risk in the past. I still enjoy it, but it can be so overwhelmingly time-consuming and can definately create feelings of ill will among otherwise good friends.

Some other favorites...

Trivial Pursuit

Scattergories

Apples and Oranges

Was never a big fan of the usual suspects when it came to board games, Monopoly and Life. "Bored Games" is the more proper term IMO. Although ... a Roman version of each would be kind of funny.

I'm a fan of such things as Trivial Pursuit, Articulate and Balderdash. There was also a brief flourishing in the UK of a Sherlock Holmes board game that was quite fun - more involved than Cluedo. But when I was a kid I remember a really super game: The Battle of the Little Bighorn (based on the original battle), which was a great strategic piece, and if you played well enough you could not only save Custer but have him win! I suppose such a game would not be allowed today as it wasn't politically correct at all, but I remember whiling away many happy hours with my eldest sister - who was a whizz!

Was never a big fan of the usual suspects when it came to board games, Monopoly and Life. "Bored Games" is the more proper term IMO. Although ... a Roman version of each would be kind of funny.

*Koff*

(click to expand)

1444009262_a208c8d832_o.jpg

Ha ha nice work G-Man, I'd certainly take up monopoly again if they released it as Romanopoly, maybe you should get in touch with the makers, they do all kinds of special editions.... :P just think of the royalties!!!!

Ha ha nice work G-Man, I'd certainly take up monopoly again if they released it as Romanopoly, maybe you should get in touch with the makers, they do all kinds of special editions.... :P just think of the royalties!!!!

Ha! I would have bet there's one out there already. Hmmm...

I'd like just to be the guy who gets to write up the "Chance" and "Community Chest" cards. That was the funnest part! LOL! (I also wish I new more about the different sections of Rome rather than having to rely on all the stereotypical places I used)