UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"italia"

RomanItaly

When they refer to Italia it is most of the time either mentioning the people living outside of the Latium region, which was where rome was in, so for instance the people of Etrusca, Campania, Saminum. Even though they had roman citizenship they were not roman. It also refers sometimes to the whole pennisula, discluding italian gaul which is north of etruscia and umbria, it was the latin word for Italy I believe.

• 2 months later...

The world "Italy," or "Italia" as the Romans call it, was derived from the the Itali tribe. The Itali tribe referred to their area in southern Italy as Itali. When the Romans conquered them, they adopted the name and spread it to the whole penninsula and the name in Latin was "Italia." This name was spread during the time of the Repulic. The name then stuck and it remains that way today. If you go to Italy, the Italians refer to their country as "Italia."

• 2 weeks later...

Where are people getting this idea of a tribe called "Itali"? Maybe I'm just missing something, but it doesn't ring any bells for me... do you just mean the heterogenous group of people sometimes termed in Greek Italoi, including the many different groups of Samnites, e.g. the Pentri, Caraceni, Caudini, Hirpini, and later the Frentani... then there are the Brutii and the Messapii... Umbrians and Sabines and Faliscans further north. The Etruscans the Greeks referred to as Tyrrhenoi. All of the peoples save the Etruscans and possibly the Messapii spoke languages related to Latin (they all being part of the Italic language family of Indo-European), and probably shared genetic ties as well (although you can never be sure based solely on linguistic evidence).

Viteliu is the Oscan (language of the Samnites) word for calf, related to the Latin word vitellius. You can see it used on a coin issued by the revolting Socii during the Social Wars, as part of an attempt to create/regain an identity distinct from that of Rome. http://www.sas.ac.uk/icls/imaginesit/sampl.../italia001.html

In fact, there's a whole site dedicated to native languages of Italy titled "Viteliu":

http://www.evolpub.com/LCA/VTLhome.html

Some points in reference to the thread Viggen noted:

It's risky to trust ancient authors too too much when they're talking about the movements of peoples.

The Romans would have distinguished between Greeks and Italic peoples, and between the Italic peoples themselves.

The Itali is an ancient tribe name with very little reliable reference points. Its assumed they were absorbed quickly into surrounding cultures and the nature of their existance is somewhat mysterious. Unfortunately I don't have any reference material off the top of my head, but I'll see what I can come up with.