UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
spittle

THE TUDORS. USA opinions wanted.

Episode 1 next friday (5th Oct).

Rather that the middle aged, ginger bearded and obese Henry VIII that we would all recognise instantly on the High Street, the makers of this show have opted for a 30 year old athletic actor to portray his younger days-when he was considered 'dashing and gallant'.

Its already been on American TV so opinions would be helpful.

Please add 'SPOILER WARNING' when necessary.

I saw the first several episodes when it aired and enjoyed it (we had a couple of months of the Showtime movie package for free at the time). It *seemed* to be historically accurate for the most part, given my limited knowledge. The cast was good, characters compelling, scenery, etal, pretty good as well. All in all I liked it.

I will caution you that there's quite a bit of nudity/sex, so if that's not your bag, well this may not be your show.

We had a discussion on The Tudors going awhile back here.

I don't know how much of a spoiler this might be. If you don't know much about Thomas More, then skip this. I'd always quite liked More's book Utopia, even though I found his religious convictions abhorrent. One thing I did like about The Tudors is the way they depicted More -- which was not entirely as the admirable character that Man for All Seasons would have us believe him to have been. Despite the fact that we see More in The Tudors admirably serving as a high-principled advisor to Henry, we also see that More as the religious zealot had very little compunction about burning "heretics" alive at the stake.

-- Nephele

I've heard its had a second series, So I'm guessing it was a success in America... Or is this second series done to wrap things like in HBO's Rome? I mean how far ahead can they go with this? Do you think we'll eventually have episodes set in Elizabeth I's court?

I've heard its had a second series, So I'm guessing it was a success in America... Or is this second series done to wrap things like in HBO's Rome? I mean how far ahead can they go with this? Do you think we'll eventually have episodes set in Elizabeth I's court?

Perhaps, DC - who knows? If it is to be a saga of The Tudors then surely it should run from Henry VII through to Elizabeth. 'Rome' was a limitless title, as it were. Had the resources been available it could have gone on and on until the fall.

I'm certainly going to give The Tudors a go. It is one of my favourite periods of English history (I fell in love with it when I was 8!) - so I hope they've done us proud. Hopefully, those of us who watch it can contribute lively discussion to a 'Tudors' thread.

It was good as costume drama/ light *or*. I think some of the historical details may be a bit off, but I'm not an expert in the area.

Perhaps, DC - who knows? If it is to be a saga of The Tudors then surely it should run from Henry VII through to Elizabeth. 'Rome' was a limitless title, as it were. Had the resources been available it could have gone on and on until the fall.

I'm certainly going to give The Tudors a go. It is one of my favourite periods of English history (I fell in love with it when I was 8!) - so I hope they've done us proud. Hopefully, those of us who watch it can contribute lively discussion to a 'Tudors' thread.

I studied the Tudors at school, but that was some years ago now. Maybe this show will jog my memory, and I'll start to remember facts from class. That's if I remember to watch the show, of course!

EDIT: Deleted spoiler! :suprise:

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele

Move along, people ... nothing to see here. :suprise:

-- Nephele

Hey! Whoa, whoa, whoa ... watch the spoilers there, sparky!

:angry:

Edited by G-Manicus

Hey! Whoa, whoa, whoa ... watch the spoilers there, sparky!

:angry:

:suprise: Apologies to all!

-- Nephele

I've deleted that spoiler. Now, G-Manicus, delete the spoiler in your quoted response to me! Quick! Quick! HURRY!!!! :suprise:

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele

It was good as costume drama/ light *or*. I think some of the historical details may be a bit off, but I'm not an expert in the area.

Consider the recorder well and truly set!! :lol:

Hi Spittle,

What channel is it on?

Hi G P M

Its on BBC2 at 9pm.

The Tudors and Stuatrs were my first historical love so I wait with baited breath for this to start....

Hehe - I am going to watch, just for the fun of it, although I won't expect too much accuracy. My daughter showed me the feature in the Radio Times this week (at 18 years old she is already in love with the male lead!) and I took one look at Anne Boleyn and said 'What is that frock she's got on!' My daughter shook her head and said, 'She's off - by now!'

But I'm not going to carp. I'm going to watch this as a good old entertaining romp. (And my daughter is right - Henry is rather easy on the female eye! :) )